• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Filtration question

I am planning on using only a protein skimmer on the 30g tall octo tank that I'm currently setting up. Reason being, as a sps reef-keeper, I/we never use mechanical filtration because it tends to actually increase the nitrates (all the gunk in the filter ends up breaking-down and going back in the tank). Since low nitrates seem to be quite important with octos, what do you think? The skimmer is suitable for tanks up to 90g. I'm just not used to keeping animals that produce so much waste. What are your thoughts?

By the way, I'm also considering the Cyclone BakPak 2, and the BakPak 2R. The 2R is made for a reef and does not have the biological filtration section. Which would be most appropriate for an octo tank? Thanks.

hi and welcome to tonmo :smile:

okay, this may sound really obvious but cephalopods are not SPSs and you cant compare them at all... unless your tank is positively massive and you can fit inside your skimmer it wont work!

You need to have a GOOD filter especially in a tank as small as 30gals.. i would recomend a strong external power filter or a sump and a wet/dry.

I/we never use mechanical filtration because it tends to actually increase the nitrates (all the gunk in the filter ends up breaking-down and going back in the tank).

yes that works for corals and the odd small fish but an octopus is a carnivorous eating machine that produces approx 3 times more waste than a fish of the same mass.. and since they get so big no filter in a 30 gal is asking for trouble.

Also regarding the same statement.. there is nothing better than a good regular 10 - 25% waterchange to bring down nitrates

im all for minimum equipment and it works for certain tanks just not octo aquariums :smile: sorry

hope that helps and apologies for negativity :frown:

Yikes! :frown: You really jumped on my back! I'm not a minimalist--I've spent several thousand on my reef tank. It was just a simple question of whether or not mechanical filtration is advisable with an octopus. I have three of them in my closet--it's not as though I'm trying to get out of buying them.

Although I've never kept an octopus, I can't imagine it's more difficult than an sps reef. But, alas, I could be wrong. Either way, I'm willing to invest as much time/money as it takes to successfully keep a bimac.

You never mentioned anything about a skimmer. That aside, what do you mean by "strong external power filter?" I don't want to assume anything. Do you mean just a standard filter with the cotton/carbon inserts (i.e. whisper, etc)?

Hopefully I won't get attacked for asking a few more questions. :?

Crevalle said:
Hopefully I won't get attacked for asking a few more questions. :?

:lol:

Nah, you've got it all wrong. Colin's really quite an affable guy.

He is rather mean to Neil Diamond, though... :frown:

OK, so maybe you will be wanting a bit more interaction with Nancy instead. :wink:

sorry :frown:

i didnt mean to seem as if i was having a go at you, I tried to present the facts and perhaps my style of writing or SOH was misunderstood... i have no doubt at all that anyone who can have a sucessfull SPS reef will have a great octopus aquarium!!! So i am not questioning that at all. I try to give all new members a nice welcome. ***Starts again.......

It was just a simple question of whether or not mechanical filtration is advisable with an octopus

yes, use a filter... an external power filter is one like a fluval 404 that has compartments suitable for carbon etc... Id prefer a wet/dry trickle filter personally but power filters work (canister filters) great. http://www.aquaria.ru/faq/hagen/x4view.jpg

A skimmer is essential to a good octo tank and your thinking behind it is ideal, it catches waste before the filter needs to worry about it. Any of the average skimmers will do but try to think ahead for one that might be easy to make escape proof unless you can site it in a sump

Hopefully I won't get attacked for asking a few more questions. not unless you make Um...'s mistake and start slandering frank zappa :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cool, thanks for the info Colin. As of a few minutes ago, I was leaning towards the Aqua C Remora skimmer, but now I have to figure out how to prevent escape if I use it. With the current setup, I have no sump, so an in-tank skimmer is a slim chance.

Sorry for the confusion before! :jester:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back