• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Filtration Opinions

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
Hello all and ty for all the prior info that I have gotten. Time to pick your brains again and in need of opinions.. I am preparing for an octo tank. I have my 60 gal long set up with 60lbs live rock, live sand and shells, clean crew of snails, crabs, clams, and a sand star... I have a fluval 304 rated for 70 gal @260 gal flow rate an hour. I was trying to modify a protien skimmer but didnt really like how that is working out so it is pulled. My question is this.. I have read alot of different views on the use of the protien skimmer or a wet/dry filter or a sump. I live in an apartment so space is a bit limited and not even the 304 will fit under the tank as well as looking to stay as inexpensive as possible. If there are other options I am all for them as well.

Thanks,

Hey, Happy Labor Day Weekend Everyone!! :tongue:

Update: the motor on my fluval has cut out!! So, a quick visit to the store and now I am using a Rena FilStar external canister xp3 rated for up to 175 gal @ 350 gal flow rate per hour. Soooo, same question as previous just different canister filter...

IMO a skimmer is a must on a saltwater system. I mean its not, but it will take a huge chuck of bioload off your system. I would try to get it working, any skimming is better then none. or get a diff one.
I have a 75gall, running now, its only filtration is a 30gal refuge, a skimmer, liverock, and a filter sock, which gets washed weekly..
the main take has about 4" of sand and the fuge about 8" in them. water is fine, i dont run carbon or anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back