• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Filtration Medium

I am setting up a wet/dry sump with refugium. I need to choose my filtration medium. What is best, Bio Bale or Bio Balls? Not sure which one to use with a Caribbean reef octo. What do you prefer to use? Also, do you have advice about which brands are best? :octopus:

They are all about the same, so I say use the one that it easiest to get. Do be sure to have the water go through some filter floss or other disposable media before it hits the bale/balls to stop any detritus from collecting in the bale/balls.

also, make sure that you distribute the water evenly across the surface of the media for best effect

Hello I set up everything with the live rock. I think I went a little crazy on the live rock. I also bought a refugium and wet dry filter with a powerskimmer for a 200 gallon ( I have an 80). Once again, I think I went a little crazy with that as well.:bugout: I do not plan on adding my octo until early September, but keeping in mind I just set up the live rock yesterday, when is it okay to add hermit crabs? other suggestions? Should I add pods? I will post a pic of my set up later. I have not received the refugium/filter/skimmer yet. I am filtering the water with a canaster right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back