• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Filter Broke

My filter broke! The bio whel on it wont work and im not even sure if the rest is working! Crapola!

[Edit: Subject title edit by tonmo 10/9/04]

********************************* MY ENTIRE AQUARIUM IS GOING TO HELL! EVERYTHING IS ****ING DYING!!! MY SEA HARE IS LAYING EGGS LIKE CRAZY FOR NO REASON AND I HAD TO LET MY OTO GO! THERE IS NO AIR NO FILTRATION AND MY TANK IS SO ****ING SCREWED!!!! WHAT CAN I DO!??! I NEED HELP!! ******************* AARGGGHHHHH!!!! STUPID FILTER THAT LOUSY PIECE OF **** THIS IS ITS FAULT ARGHHH!!!!!!! :goofysca: :cry: :bonk: :bugout: :evil: :x

How old are you octomush? Im just curious. Anyways, I dont know. Your just gonna have to start from scratch again...and buy everything again. Unless you could just go to, I dont know...a pet store for marine aquariums and ask them about it...but I would just suggest buying everything back again all new and all ready.

And one more thing. What supplies did you have on your tank? I mean EVERY supply. Like...ok, you have your 50 gallon tank right? Or w/e...and you have a filter. what else? Just wondering cuz im currently getting all set up for a pet octopus and I want the tank to be super, super successful and managable.

%$@#!&%#$ IM TRYING TO SAVE MY OWN SORRY TANK AND UR ASKING HOW TO BUILD URS!?!??! :roll: Sigh... Its a 75 gallon tank.. and ummm... the filter on it is a magnum 350 pro system. And the water in it I got from the ocean... And thats about it except my friggin super expensive hard to assemble filter broke and everthing went to hell! Before that everthing was goin fine! And by the way im 13...

There is a huge article and database on octo care under "ceph care" to your upper left side of the browser...has most of the info you are looking for.
Tank crashes are never fun, and very depressing...hang in there 'Mush...I am sure you will sort it out.
greg

Octomush said:
%$@#!&%#$ IM TRYING TO SAVE MY OWN SORRY TANK AND UR ASKING HOW TO BUILD URS!?!??! :roll: Sigh... Its a 75 gallon tank.. and ummm... the filter on it is a magnum 350 pro system. And the water in it I got from the ocean... And thats about it except my friggin super expensive hard to assemble filter broke and everthing went to hell! Before that everthing was goin fine! And by the way im 13...

No, I wasn't asking you how to build my tank, I simply asked you what supplies you had connected to your tank. jeez. And your still trying to save your tank? I wish you good luck. But anyways, thats all I wanted to know. If you didn't want to reply to my questions, you could have said so...and if your still trying to save your tank why are you even still posting here? You should be busy trying to fix it instead of wasting time if your going to get that angry at me for asking 2 questions...

And yes, I already knew there was a ceph care instruction place on this site. Iv known about it forever...I just wanted to know what octomush had on his just out of curiosity and compare it to my supplies. But alls octomush has is a tank and a filter...plus salt water from the ocean. If I lived near the beach, I would do that. And octomush, just advice, you should get a lot more supplies just to keep it on the safe side. Like, to make sure your pet octopus doesn't die off...or struggle in there. You should get a thermometer for the temp, a hydrometer incase the salinity goes too high or low, a protien skimmer incase the octopus inks, and a lot more things than just a tank and a filter...unless that filter of yours can do more than just filter. If it can, then I should get it if its a really good one.

Know what it's like to go through something like that; my tank kept overflowing a few months ago. Never really found out what was wrong with it, but it stopped. Carpet got all moldy though and had to have Servicemaster come to clean it and blah blah blah..

It'll work out, sorry you had to let you octo go though. :frown:

LOL. It's carpet. I did have to pay for half of the cleaning :P . Thanks anyways.
Any update on the tank? Are you planning on catching another octo at the cove?

Very sorry about the tank crash and having to give up Cephie.

Please keep us posted about what you're doing with your tank. You'll be able to get another octo when your tank stabilizes.

Nancy

Lets not forget that you were able to do something that most of us could never do and that is you were able to let cephie go.

And your quick thinking most probably saved his life! Well done for that!!!

Once you get the filter problem sorted out you will be able to clean the tank, start again and SLOWLY stock the tank until it is mature enough for another octopus.

A minor setback!

C

Having a tank with saltwater and a filter with a biowheel is a complete receipe for disaster in a marine aquarium. You need live rock and live sand won't hurt things either. These things can't 'break' and do a much better job of filtration than anything else. Also, you need a protein skimmer. These things are absolutely neccessary. If you are going to keep a tank and put delicate sea life in it, get everything you need and don't skimp or you will have a crash sooner or later.

Better luck to you in the future, but it sounds like this needs to go back to the drawing board. If you caught an octopus once, you can catch one again!

Robert :cyclops:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back