filosus,vulgaris,or burryi?

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by dreadhead, Dec 24, 2007.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

with my limited knowledge on octos ive been trying to id my new guy.it isnt easy to say the least,especially since it doesnt come out often or for long.but i think ive narrowed it down to one of three,filosus,vulgaris,or burryi.im changing my light cycle so thier on at night hoping to get some photos of him to help with the id.what i do know is it is eating,its color is much better(not white),and its from the caribbean.not much to go on but its a start.

2. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Without a picture we can't help you. O. Hummelincki (filosus) will have eyespots and I don't think the others do. I can't seem to find much info on O. Burryi.

3. dreadhead

yea,ive been waiting for it to be out long enough for a pic but it hasnt happend yet.what do you think of changing the light cycle?it shouldnt be bad for my octo,right?

4. shipposhack

You will be fine but I would have a full day of darkness rather than a full day of light (change your cycle before the lights come on for the day, instead of right before they go off at night). If it is nocturnal it will not be O. Hummelincki.

5. dreadhead

ok, thanks for your help.

6. shipposhack

You're welcome, good luck with getting him out and about. Sometimes new octos hide for a little bit so they can get used to their settings. If you have not had your octo very long, you may want to wait a few more days until you change your light cycle.

7. dreadhead

ive had it just over a week.it just went in and out of his rock 3 or 4 times,itook a pic but you cant see it at all.thank god the flash didnt scare it.if its going to be active tonight ill try to get some pics.unfortunately i think it is nocturnal.

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

tread head,
    If your new guy turns out to be nocturnal (you really won't know for awhile though and I would recommend patience and not messing with the light cycle) it may learn to feed and play early in the evening if you can turn the light out in the room. My Mercatoris will feed and are waiting for me between 10:30 and 11:00 pm. The two in the breakfast area (our main eating room) come out as soon as the lights from the other tanks go off as long as the room light is also off. The other three feed take a little more coaxing but still repond to being fed once all the lights are off for about half an hour.

9. dreadhead

thanks for the input.i didnt change it yet.ill leave it alone for now it is starting to show its srlf a little more often.thanks again ad merry christmas.

10. dreadhead

my octo was out crawling around under the lights today for the first time(very cool),so maybe he isnt nocturnal.i didnt get close enough to see eyespots.not sure if this helps with id but it was good to see it out during the day.

11. dreadhead

my octo was out under the lights today maybe its not nocturnal.i didnt get close enough to see any eyespots but it was good to see him out.i dont know if this helps with id but it was good to see it out.

12. dreadhead

my octo came out under the lights for the first time today.i didn't get close enough to see any eyespots, so i dont think im any closer to an id but it was good to see him out.i took a few pictures but none of them came out very good maybe next time.

13. dreadhead

it didnt post the first 2 times, sorry.

14. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

sometimes the internet is like octos, you just have to be patient :wink:

15. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I've occasionally been confused when I forget that after uploading an image attachment, I have to pull down the little paper clip icon to include it in the post... is it possible that's what's going on?

16. dreadhead

i don't know.im sure its something i did wrong.the main thing is my octo is eating well and showing himself more often,both during the day and at night.unfortunately not long enough for any good pics.any info on the three octos mentioned in the title would be great,more on behavior than discription.thanks

17. shipposhack

Hummelincki/Filosus has eyespots and gets to be about 3" mantle length, with some webbing but not much, and armspan of 20-24". Vulgaris get big and lack eyespots and usually has a red color to it. I don't have any info on O. Burryi. There should be pics of both O. Vulgaris and O. Hummelinki in the gallery. O. Vulgaris will also have a lot of pictures elsewhere on the internet.

18. dreadhead

I saw your pictures in the gallery, and i must say from limited time i've been able see my guy it looks very much like yours.but like i said i didnt get close enough to see eyespots.still trying to get pics.

19. shipposhack

The eyespots aren't very big on O. Hummelincki. It took me some good looks under his mantle to see them for the first time. They were easier to spot when he was catching prey because the blue was so vibrant.

20. dreadhead

i never get to see mine catch anything ,the hermits and fiddlers it ate i didnt see.and when he eats scallops he just throws an arm out of the rock and drags it in.