• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Film on media-bacteria?

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
The "film" I saw on the media was a uniform light tan in color, and more concentrated where there was higher water flow. There was nothing that was large enough to hold or see on your finger. It did not cling to itself like algae or mold would have and readily fell off the floss when wrung out. It looked like a strained, purified version of what you would find contained in a undergravel filter - so I always figured it was bacteria. If bacteria is too small to see-What else could the film be?

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
I'm confident believing its the bacteria, exactly for the reasons you mention. We pretty much only find a film of it in the places where we try to make an ideal habitat for it: the wet/dry filter.

Dan

Members online

No members online now.