Field Work 2012

Some of the fossils collected and/or seen this year. All from the Early Triassic Sinbad Formation (or equivalent parts of the Thaynes Group).

A small Prionitid

A small mold of a Prionitid

A large(ish) cast of a Prionitid

Section of a coiled Nautiloid

Attachments

• conv_300070.jpg
    conv_300070.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 130
  • conv_300071.jpg
    conv_300071.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 114
  • conv_300072.jpg
    conv_300072.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 113
  • conv_300073.jpg
    conv_300073.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 112
Cool, I think the oddest thing to me ( as you mentioned in the old thread) is the lack of fossils, other than cephalopods, and I think you mentioned a few gastropods. Curious....:hmm:

In spite of your toxic environment solution I wonder about the possibility of Semelparous gathering and spawning like the cuttlefish in Australia (that may be extincting as we speak). I wonder if there is a way to compare current positioning of such a mating ground with what you are finding. My daydream is that the deposits were shore line and the empty chambers washed up to the "beach" like we see with cuttlebones. Granted cuttlebones are lighter and you mentioned little water movement but the one picture brought the beach idea to mind.

Terri;190943 said:
Cool, I think the oddest thing to me ( as you mentioned in the old thread) is the lack of fossils, other than cephalopods, and I think you mentioned a few gastropods. Curious....:hmm:

About the other fossils

And the gastropods Here here and here

DWhatley;190953 said:
In spite of your toxic environment solution I wonder about the possibility of Semelparous gathering and spawning like the cuttlefish in Australia (that may be extincting as we speak). I wonder if there is a way to compare current positioning of such a mating ground with what you are finding. My daydream is that the deposits were shore line and the empty chambers washed up to the "beach" like we see with cuttlebones. Granted cuttlebones are lighter and you mentioned little water movement but the one picture brought the beach idea to mind.

The lack of baby ammonoids (protoconchs/ammonitellas) and the large size range of shells kinda rule out semelparity. :sad:

Thanks for the references Kevin, curiousity appeased! :oops: I need to think a little more before posting. I've read most of this before, but will re-read. :roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back