Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium?

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Just wondering if anyone has been to the Field Museum or the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago? I am here for a conference (neuroscience, exhausting) and I would like to to take some downtime to look at both of these if possible.

Does the Field have any good Ceph fossils that people know of? Is there a ceph exhibit at the Shedd?

Thanks!!

Robyn.

I would suggest going to both but make sure you have a full day to spend. Shedd is loaded with animals, though not many cephs. They did have nautilus when I was there and an unfortunate fact about them: that they have ink sacs. Besides that little blip it was an awesome aquarium.

The field museum was also great. One of the best museums I have been to. It has the actual lions from the movie and true story The Ghost in the Darkness, stuffed. They are huge.

You will definitely enjoy the visit. Chicago is a great city regardless.

Greg

Haha! I've seen that on their website too, Greg, and not only do they have ink sacs, but they are also 'brutal predators'.... I was tempted to email a suggested amendment when I first saw it, but I didn't. Unfortunately I have only a few hours to devote to each since I am attending a conference, but I am quite excited to see both in the little time I can afford. Thanks for the recommendation. How are things with you?

Shedd is supposed to have an awsome seahorse exhibit but I have not been to confirm. I don't know how you will be able to do justice to either with only a few hours though - we really need a time machine for trips like this.

robyn;144461 said:
Haha! I've seen that on their website too, Greg, and not only do they have ink sacs, but they are also 'brutal predators'.... I was tempted to email a suggested amendment when I first saw it, but I didn't. Unfortunately I have only a few hours to devote to each since I am attending a conference, but I am quite excited to see both in the little time I can afford. Thanks for the recommendation. How are things with you?

Then again, tell this to the hapless crab :wink:

Nautilus.jpg

I quite enjoy the Field, every time I'm over; it is not too dumbed down for comfort, as is often the case.

Hi Greg, it's posted on the University of New Mexico site, but without copyright or authorship indicated. You could try and contact their marine ecology people?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back