Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium?

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by robyn, Oct 18, 2009.

1. robyn

robyn Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Just wondering if anyone has been to the Field Museum or the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago? I am here for a conference (neuroscience, exhausting) and I would like to to take some downtime to look at both of these if possible.

Does the Field have any good Ceph fossils that people know of? Is there a ceph exhibit at the Shedd?

Thanks!!

Robyn.

2. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

This thread has a review of the Shedd and some remarks on the Field Museum.

Both would be nice to visit.

3. robyn

thanks for the thread link, Kevin. I should really try that search function sometimes!

4. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

I would suggest going to both but make sure you have a full day to spend. Shedd is loaded with animals, though not many cephs. They did have nautilus when I was there and an unfortunate fact about them: that they have ink sacs. Besides that little blip it was an awesome aquarium.

The field museum was also great. One of the best museums I have been to. It has the actual lions from the movie and true story The Ghost in the Darkness, stuffed. They are huge.

You will definitely enjoy the visit. Chicago is a great city regardless.

Greg

5. robyn

Haha! I've seen that on their website too, Greg, and not only do they have ink sacs, but they are also 'brutal predators'.... I was tempted to email a suggested amendment when I first saw it, but I didn't. Unfortunately I have only a few hours to devote to each since I am attending a conference, but I am quite excited to see both in the little time I can afford. Thanks for the recommendation. How are things with you?

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Shedd is supposed to have an awsome seahorse exhibit but I have not been to confirm. I don't know how you will be able to do justice to either with only a few hours though - we really need a time machine for trips like this.

7. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Then again, tell this to the hapless crab :wink:

[​IMG]

I quite enjoy the Field, every time I'm over; it is not too dumbed down for comfort, as is often the case.

8. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Ob,

Do you know where this photograph was taken and by whom? I would like to use it in a paper I am writing so I would need to contact the author of it.

Greg

9. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Hi Greg, it's posted on the University of New Mexico site, but without copyright or authorship indicated. You could try and contact their marine ecology people?

10. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Reviving this old thread. I will be in the Chicago area over the Thanksgiving weekend. Any members nearby? I will be with my 14 year old so I'm thinking she might be more interested in the aquarium.