few questions

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by jamest0o0, May 31, 2008.

1. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 O. vulgaris Registered

I'm planning on getting 2 cuttles for my 39g CAD reef(probably by septembed). How long does it usually take to sex them because I wanted two females. By this time what would they be eating?

thanks

2. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

about three months, and by this time they should be eating shore shrimp and fiddlers

3. jamest0o0

What was the suggested site for ordering these? How many a day and how do I keep these alive? Thanks.

4. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

(edit: SEO spam related stuff deleted - Monty)

now, james, aquaculturestore.com is the best place to order, and I believe cuttles will eat one fiddler a day or 3-5 shrimp a day, someone pleas correct me if I'm wrong.

5. jamest0o0

What are the ideal set-ups for fiddlers and shore shrimp? How many would you suggest keeping at once for 2 female cuttles?

6. jamest0o0

Anyone?

7. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

JamestOoO,
    This is another good topic for our Wiki thought as it gets asked often but the discussions are difficult to find. Housing and feeding vary but this is my current setup:

I keep my shore shrimp in a couple of bare bottom 10 gallon aquariums with large cascade filters, top off with fresh water as needed (not daily like my critter tanks) and completely change the water when I get a new batch (about once a month). I have found that keeping a small amount of plant matter and snails in the tank seems to help with longevity. I feed them marine fish food nightly.

I keep my fiddlers in a couple of 2 gallon tanks with nano filters. The tanks are only kept at 1/2 full and I keep lava or LR in the setup so they can climb out of the water. I fully change the water about once a week. These also get marine fish food but seem to do better if fed sparingly a couple of times a week.

8. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

You aren't going to find and ideal set up, so you have to decide what will work for you. As for how many you should keep, it depends on how many you feed to your animals, and how long you can keep the food alive. :grin:

Currently, I have a 7 gallon trash can plumbed into my ceph system in which I keep shore shrimp. Easy peasy, but that won't work for everyone.

9. jamest0o0

Okay thanks guys, I'll have to think about this. I will see how much room I have when I get my tank either today or tomorow.