• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Female bimac already laying eggs??

I have not been able to keep up my journal bc of some unexpected surgeries in past couple months but back now. Got this guy in October and was doing great up until about 3 weeks ago it started staying in this skull and not eating. I have been successful feeding him/her live crabs a couple times. I flipped it over today and is this why? Are these eggs? If so what can I do?
9F765779-D76A-4E51-8694-F3B1B002577A.jpeg
8862C441-3EB3-4D44-B185-A27C1BA858AC.jpeg

Those are certainly eggs. I do not see eye spots ... if you see any dark matter inside the eggs, it is a sign you have eggs that might hatch. If they are / remain white & clear, they will not hatch, but unfortunately this bimac may not have long to live as it may be brooding anyhow.

Those are certainly eggs. I do not see eye spots ... if you see any dark matter inside the eggs, it is a sign you have eggs that might hatch. If they are / remain white & clear, they will not hatch, but unfortunately this bimac may not have long to live as it may be brooding anyhow.
Yeah I’ve been researching how to do it in case but can’t tell. Some look like there may be something in them then some do not. They are about the size of 3-4 grains of rice so not sure if it’s been long enough? But is there any chance she will go on to live after or no? Definitely didn’t think she was nearly big enough to be towards the end

How long ago were the eggs laid? They can sometimes take up to 2-3 weeks to develop eyespots. They will look like 2 tiny black pinpricks near the middle of the egg. Additionally, if you see the yolk start to condense at one end of the egg, it can be a preliminary sign of fertilized eggs.

For the lifespan, I would say that if your octo is laying eggs, she probably only has another month or two left. Some bimaculoides remain small through out their whole life so it can be unreliable to estimate age based on size. In order to extend lifespan as long as possible, continue to feed her regularly and, if possible, slowly drop the temperature of the tank a few degrees. It may kill the eggs (if you aren't planning on breeding them then you won't have to worry) but you may get another 3-4 weeks of life depending on your current tank temperature. (you can safely drop it to about 61F without harming the animal).

How long ago were the eggs laid? They can sometimes take up to 2-3 weeks to develop eyespots. They will look like 2 tiny black pinpricks near the middle of the egg. Additionally, if you see the yolk start to condense at one end of the egg, it can be a preliminary sign of fertilized eggs.

For the lifespan, I would say that if your octo is laying eggs, she probably only has another month or two left. Some bimaculoides remain small through out their whole life so it can be unreliable to estimate age based on size. In order to extend lifespan as long as possible, continue to feed her regularly and, if possible, slowly drop the temperature of the tank a few degrees. It may kill the eggs (if you aren't planning on breeding them then you won't have to worry) but you may get another 3-4 weeks of life depending on your current tank temperature. (you can safely drop it to about 61F without harming the animal).
Got it. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back