• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

feeding times

jellyfish

Cuttlefish
Registered
hi everyone
any ideas on how long after hatching is it before bandensis take their first meal??
i have been told some cuttles dont feed for as long as 2 weeks.
any views thanks:smile:

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
I didn't see my cuttles eat for a while, but that was because they were sooo small. I think it sometimes takes a couple of days, but you should offer them food every day.

jellyfish

Cuttlefish
Registered
maybe you are right i do see them swimming forward with their tenticles pointing in front and some times they jet forward, but most of the time they blow the food away

jellyfish

Cuttlefish
Registered
well thats good news at last. would it be worth trying to tempt them into eating or will the hunger switch there hunting instinct on. dont wanna lose any thanks:smile:

Nippel

O. bimaculoides
Registered
what food did you offer them?

It can realy take a while. Thats depends on how long the babies stay in the eggs. If the yolk sack is small they need a longer time to start eating. If the sack is big they'll don't need such a long time.

If they start, you can nearly feed them every 6h so they grow fast. My 2" big cuttle eats 5-15 ghost shrimps every day (!!!)

Here is a short video clip on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09kGM9HZjI&feature=channel_page

jellyfish

Cuttlefish
Registered
hi after a mad day i managed to get hold of some very small ghost shrimps :smile: tried a couple and some cuttles are now feeding :lol: i think it will be a couple of days before the others start as they hatched later thank you all very much for advice .
i will keep you up to date :cheers::cheers:

Members online

No members online now.