• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Feeding Sticks

Justine27

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi everyone,
So my brand new octopus (Abdopus sp.) finally ventured out of hiding last night, and I decided to attempt feeding it. It was very enthusiastic about the shrimp.... but due to me having a bad viewpoint, and my stick not fitting in there exactly how I wanted, I scared him further into hiding. I ended up losing the piece of shrimp into his hidey hole, and I wasn't able to retrieve it. Then I anxiously sat there for an hour, hoping he'd pick up the food and eat it. Once a couple hermit crabs started munching on it, he wrestled it away from them and chowed down. I couldn't see his face or mantle, but I saw arms going wild in there after her pulled the food under him, so I'm guessing he enjoyed it?

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone uses as a feeding stick. I had used a bamboo skewer, but I had problems getting it to his location due to my rock set up. I almost need something flexible, but rigid enough to hold it's shape, so that I can bend it to how I need it. Does anyone use something like this, or have better tips on how to go about this?
Thanks in advance!

A common (acrylic I think, may be nylon) feeding stick has a slightly bent end and is flexible. Typically I use the bamboo but do have and use this kind. HOWEVER, I looked for a link to give you an example and this VERY common tool seems to have vanished from the retail market. Strange. You might try a local fish store.

A common (acrylic I think, may be nylon) feeding stick has a slightly bent end and is flexible. Typically I use the bamboo but do have and use this kind. HOWEVER, I looked for a link to give you an example and this VERY common tool seems to have vanished from the retail market. Strange. You might try a local fish store.

Since he has passed away, I won't need one right away anymore. I haven't seen any at the LFS, but I'll keep my eyes peeled in case I decide to get another one.

For small octos I like to use a length of rigid airline with fishing line threaded through it. This allows you to retract the filament into the stick, releasing the food when the octo grabs it so it doesnt have to tug. On the pulling side you can tie some kind of handle (an o-ring for example). I'm sorry it didnt work out this time, but hopefully you have better luck in the future!

Sorry for your loss. :pensive:
Thank you. I have decided to try again with a new octopus. I have a much more reliable LFS looking for one for me, so I'm hoping I will get a nice young healthy octopus this time :smile:

For my cuttles, I used a rounf acrylic stick about 12" long and either 1/4" or 3/8" in diameter. (Amazon.com: Acrylic Round Rod, Transparent Clear, Standard Tolerance, Fed. Spec. L-P-391A: Industrial & Scientific). I then drilled a very small hole in one end and glued a 12" piece of thicker guage fishing wire in the hole. The fishing wire was thick enough I could spear a shirmp with it and the cuttles would eat off of the stick.
Would you be able to take a picture of it? I am going to get another octopus, so I'm trying to get some ideas and work things out before he arrives. I like the sound of this!

For small octos I like to use a length of rigid airline with fishing line threaded through it. This allows you to retract the filament into the stick, releasing the food when the octo grabs it so it doesnt have to tug. On the pulling side you can tie some kind of handle (an o-ring for example). I'm sorry it didnt work out this time, but hopefully you have better luck in the future!
Ooo could you take a picture? This sounds interesting, but I'm having a hard time picturing it lol.

Ooo could you take a picture? This sounds interesting, but I'm having a hard time picturing it lol
0315171548.jpg

The fishing line goes all the way through a hollow acrylic rod. Really easy to make and very effective.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back