Feeding Sticks

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Justine27, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Justine27

Justine27 Cuttlefish Registered

Hi everyone,
    So my brand new octopus (Abdopus sp.) finally ventured out of hiding last night, and I decided to attempt feeding it. It was very enthusiastic about the shrimp.... but due to me having a bad viewpoint, and my stick not fitting in there exactly how I wanted, I scared him further into hiding. I ended up losing the piece of shrimp into his hidey hole, and I wasn't able to retrieve it. Then I anxiously sat there for an hour, hoping he'd pick up the food and eat it. Once a couple hermit crabs started munching on it, he wrestled it away from them and chowed down. I couldn't see his face or mantle, but I saw arms going wild in there after her pulled the food under him, so I'm guessing he enjoyed it?

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone uses as a feeding stick. I had used a bamboo skewer, but I had problems getting it to his location due to my rock set up. I almost need something flexible, but rigid enough to hold it's shape, so that I can bend it to how I need it. Does anyone use something like this, or have better tips on how to go about this?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Justine27

I just found him dead in the tank. I'm absolutely crushed!!

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

A common (acrylic I think, may be nylon) feeding stick has a slightly bent end and is flexible. Typically I use the bamboo but do have and use this kind. HOWEVER, I looked for a link to give you an example and this VERY common tool seems to have vanished from the retail market. Strange. You might try a local fish store.

Justine27 likes this.
  4. Justine27

Since he has passed away, I won't need one right away anymore. I haven't seen any at the LFS, but I'll keep my eyes peeled in case I decide to get another one.

5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Sorry for your loss. :pensive:

6. magnetar68

magnetar68 O. vulgaris Registered

7. Tentagal

Tentagal Pygmy Octopus Registered

For small octos I like to use a length of rigid airline with fishing line threaded through it. This allows you to retract the filament into the stick, releasing the food when the octo grabs it so it doesnt have to tug. On the pulling side you can tie some kind of handle (an o-ring for example). I'm sorry it didnt work out this time, but hopefully you have better luck in the future!

Nancy and DWhatley like this.
  8. Justine27

Thank you. I have decided to try again with a new octopus. I have a much more reliable LFS looking for one for me, so I'm hoping I will get a nice young healthy octopus this time :)

Would you be able to take a picture of it? I am going to get another octopus, so I'm trying to get some ideas and work things out before he arrives. I like the sound of this!

Ooo could you take a picture? This sounds interesting, but I'm having a hard time picturing it lol.

tonmo likes this.
  9. Tentagal

Tentagal Pygmy Octopus Registered

0315171548.jpg

The fishing line goes all the way through a hollow acrylic rod. Really easy to make and very effective.

tonmo, DWhatley and Justine27 like this.
  10. Justine27

Oh wow, that's really interesting, I may have to build something similar!