Feeding Small Vulgaris

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by d.j.adams, Mar 4, 2007.

1. d.j.adams

d.j.adams Cuttlefish Registered

Hi,

just wondered if anyone can give me some advice on feeding my new vulgaris, well that is what believe him to be, he has a mentle of about
    1cm and I have had him for 2 days now, on his first night in his tank he disappeared into the centre of some live rock where I can no longer spot him, he has not emerged since.
    The tank has live hermits, several small crabs and some snails, I offered a piece of frozen mussel and lance fish tonight but the only thing interesed in that was the hermit crabs.
    Just wondered if I should just leave him or keep offering food, just concered as this my first experience with such a small octopus and not sure what he is capable of eating.

Many Thanks
    Darren

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I'd leave him be for a couple of days, sounds like he has plenty to eat if he wants to (there's likely to be amphipods in the LR too). He's probably feeling a bit stressed from shipping and it's not unusual for octopus to disappear for a bit when they first arrive. Just resist the temptation to go look for him and he'll likely reappear!

Cheers

J

3. d.j.adams

UPDATE

Day 3 still no sign of new Octopus nor is there any sign of him eating I have left a food stick in the tank for 3 hours each night in total darkness with prawn, mussle, cockle & squid but no interest from him as yet!

Also a little concerned as I know there is a hairy crab in that piece of rock and worried he may attack the new octopus!

Thanks
    Darren

4. G*S KING

G*S KING Cuttlefish Registered

HEY I DIDNT KNOW HOW TO SET A BULLETIN UP SO I THOUGHT ID PUT MY OCTO PICS IN HERE LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. d.j.adams

Still no sign of Octopus

Hi,

New been 5 days and not sign of octopus of him eating, sould I search for him????

Darren

6. Jean

He'll reappear. We lost Cap'n black beak for about 10 days, he reappeared when he felt like it! If he had escaped you'd smell him by now. What's your lighting like? If it's too bright he won't come out. try leaving it off for a bit. You may have got an individual that is strongly nocturnal too. Try turning off all the lights and just sit quietly by the tank. Use a red light so you can see (most cephs can't see red light).

Cheers

Jean

7. Lev

Lev O. bimaculoides Registered

How big do vulgaris get anyway? I've been seeing them a lot recently, but I've heard they need 150+ tanks..

8. d.j.adams

My lights are off all day just using day light and a red LED light at night while i'm about, ill have to just sit and wait I suppose!

9. d.j.adams

Its now been 8 days since I have seem my octopus should I remove the rock and explore??????

10. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

NO!!!!! If there's food for him to eat in the tank and it's disapearing, leave him alone! He may be watching you from a vantage point where you can't see him. Moving and searching through his home will only freak him out. Patience! Are all your water parameters good? Is the tank sealed correctly? If so, please wait. He will emerge!

11. Jean

The Cap'n has been released and Long Jenny Slither is in the big tank now. We lost her for days then discovered (at least the night tech did!) that she'd pulled a rock off the wall and gone into the hollow, then pulled the rock after he, so your fellow is probably doing something similar!

J

12. d.j.adams

Hi Jean

how long was your octopus missing for ?????

13. Danthemarineman

Danthemarineman O. bimaculoides Registered

Try to wake up early around 5am and look for him. I alyways see mine when i first turn on my lights in the morning.

14. Jean

It varies from a week to a fortnight, but I believe some reported on this forum have vanished for longer.

We had one vanish for a fortnight and a new staff member caught another octopus and put it in the "missing" octopus's tank........instant warfare! So don't give up yet!

J

15. d.j.adams

Still no sign

Hi

I won't give up yet I think I will give another 7 days and then move things around and have a better look in the tank

Thanks
    Darren

16. d.j.adams

I now believe my octopus has been eaten by the hairy crab thay was living in the same piece of live rock, i how move the rock and caught the crab, now being able to see inside the rock there is no sign of the octopus, I would be very shocked to if he was still alive due to the length of time and how agressive this crab seems to be, its now been 15 days!!!!!!!!

Shame but looks like I will have to order another if he does not show up in the next few days

Darren

17. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

You maybe surprised. Was food disappearing and are there other hiding spots? FYI my new octopus Biddle, if I didn't have experience finding him, I would have thought he was missing for a week, so don't give up yet.

18. d.j.adams

Well there was no sign of any missing food, well nothing as large a hermit crab!