Feeding goldfish to octopus?

bluezombie

Blue Ring
Registered
I was just thinking about this. Since goldfish are so cheap and abundant, can you feed those to an octopus?

EDIT: Also, i might get a new aquarium because the one i'm cycling right now just seems way too small. My friend wants to sell me a really big one, but it used to be a vivarium (if that how you say it in english?), it held a few gecko's. If it is thoroughly cleaned, can it be saltwater-safe?

EDIT2: Oops, i just realized i posted this in the wrong section... My bad -_-

I remember hearing that people used to do this in the 80s, but it's certainly not something that's recommended around here... In general, feeding things that are different from what the animals eat in the wild usually doesn't work out well; that's why freshwater crustaceans like crayfish aren't considered an appropriate octo diet, and so goldfish certainly have that problem, too. Most octos don't have much fish in their diets (although squids do) so I wouldn't think that even saltwater fish are a good idea as a staple... saltwater snails, shrimps, and crabs are really the most appropriate, but I don't know if there is a problem with supplementing it with goldfish. I predict Jean is going to recommend strongly against this, though, and I bet most of the heavily experienced folks will agree, but you should listen to them more than me...

I don't think it would an issue if you cleaned the tank real well, as far as the larger tank goes. As for goldfish, no. Saltwater animals need saltwater food. You might offer a crayfish for a rare snack, but octopus diets mostly consist of other inverts.

Alright thanks both of you, i have a few more questions.

Is a tank 28.2 gallons enough for one occy? And also, how much do shrimp and crabs sell for, generally, each?

bluezombie;102304 said:
Alright thanks both of you, i have a few more questions.

Is a tank 28.2 gallons enough for one occy? And also, how much do shrimp and crabs sell for, generally, each?

Nope, we recommend 55gal for most species. 30gal might be OK for a dwarf species, but, as discussed elsewhere, the lack of water volume can be a problem, and dwarf species tend to be shy, nocturnal, and short-lived, so it's usually better to get a 55-75gal tank and get something like a bimac or briareus.

monty;102306 said:
Nope, we recommend 55gal for most species. 30gal might be OK for a dwarf species, but, as discussed elsewhere, the lack of water volume can be a problem, and dwarf species tend to be shy, nocturnal, and short-lived, so it's usually better to get a 55-75gal tank and get something like a bimac or briareus.

Damn, that's extremely expensive, not to mention there is nowhere in my house i could fit that

How bis is the really big tank your friend is trying to sell you? Is that the 28 gallon tank?

And exactly what species of octopus are you looking at?

No offense, but from the sounds of your posts it seems like you have not had a lot of experience with saltwater tanks. The equipment to run a saltwater tank is not cheap, and octopus are not good for first-timers. I suggest researching a LOT more on the general keeping of saltwater tanks. The Concientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner is a great book with full of awesome information on keeping saltwater aquariums. You can find it on Amazon.com. When you think you've researched enough, research more.
Just an FYI, tyhis is not a cheap hobby at all. In fact, quite the opposite. That's something you need to be prepared for. :smile:

Scuba Kid;102493 said:
How bis is the really big tank your friend is trying to sell you? Is that the 28 gallon tank?

And exactly what species of octopus are you looking at?

No offense, but from the sounds of your posts it seems like you have not had a lot of experience with saltwater tanks. The equipment to run a saltwater tank is not cheap, and octopus are not good for first-timers. I suggest researching a LOT more on the general keeping of saltwater tanks. The Concientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner is a great book with full of awesome information on keeping saltwater aquariums. You can find it on Amazon.com. When you think you've researched enough, research more.
Just an FYI, tyhis is not a cheap hobby at all. In fact, quite the opposite. That's something you need to be prepared for. :smile:

I will only purchase the octo after i have paid out my debts, that's for sure. And about the experience, you're right, i've never had an aquarium, so i have no clue about how filters and all those machines you put in an aquarium work.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back