• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Feeding Cuttlefish

I used a breeder-net hung at the top, but my temp stays closer to 80. Not sure how much flow you can get thru your fish-holder without the holes being large enough for a newly hatched bandensis to slip thru, but that's a topic for another thread. 8)

But I ordered a couple of eggs from a store in N.Y. and the rest my LFS came up with for me.

The flow doesnt seem to be that great through it, i just bought it today on clearance... $2.00 lol. Anyways, there has to be alot of flow for them in the holder? :frown: well that was a wasted 2 bucks! I wanted something i could monitor them in besides just a breeder net... hmmm.

I think Thales cut out a panel and replaced it with netting for some he used. Hopefully he will chime in and explain. I don't remember if he cut out the ends or the side opposite the tank wall. If I am remembering correctly, he left the side he kept at the tank wall solid so that he could monitor and photograph without the net interference.

Its not very big at all... i hope it will work, i will upload a quick pic here... its full of algae right now lol. And if this is the case i will open the box and turn over the algae for the night and let some new water in.

Here are some pics of it, showing the slits in the lid and sides. Im sure i could fabricate alittle netting though :smile: cutting out the back or something... if i cut out the sides.. then it might not float. and it floats really well (to my surprise).

Attachments

• conv_297528.jpg
    conv_297528.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 96
  • conv_297529.jpg
    conv_297529.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 97
  • conv_297530.jpg
    conv_297530.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 99
They also dump over really well too (albeit, I was using a cascade filter when I used one like it but it doesn't take much). I would not leave it unsecured. An algae cleaner magnent works well but you will need to keep the tank water level. If you are using a sump this should not be an issue but I kept a fixed one in my sump and had a few issues with varying water level and a fixed net.

Cuttlegirl!! Its been awhile since ive heard from you! Ha, but you used a similar box? I am thinking about putting a smaller rock in it and sinking it when the time comes. I mentioned to my dad that i wanted to modify it today and he didnt like that idea lol. He thinks it fine the way it is, and it might be, i just want to ensure it being fine. So i was going to take one of the ends and modify it with black mesh.

Why are you going to sink it? I just left mine floating with a little chaeto in it for the babies to hide. You can modify it with black mesh, I just think the tiny net in the other breeders is too small to get good water flow.

Im not sure why i would sink it, just to keep the current from blowing it all over the top of the tank. Put a smaller rock in it with some algae, and then they can have at it. Real wuick question why i have one of you interested, are the babies more likely to ink than the adults? I watched this video and they are just going crazy after they were fed...
Love this video BTW!!! Cant wait to possibly go to visit!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back