Fecha's Journal

i keep the octo tank lights off all day and at night i turn on the red lights. Juts wondering, if she indeed has not eaten (though there seems to be one shrimp thats "missing in action") how long can she go like this. Tuesday would mark one week since i got her..

simple;104336 said:
i keep the octo tank lights off all day and at night i turn on the red lights. Juts wondering, if she indeed has not eaten (though there seems to be one shrimp thats "missing in action") how long can she go like this. Tuesday would mark one week since i got her..

There's a story around somewhere in the dusty recesses of TONMO that involves someone getting a new octo that immediately hid, never visibly took food, and wasn't seen for months. Long after the owner had given up hope, the octo reappeared, causing some sudden and unexpected rearranging of tank inhabitants. So, you should probably continue to do what you can, but try to be patient, and neither give up nor panic.

simple;104336 said:

I am using the red lights as my daytime lights and complete dark at night. My desk light is on so I can see if he comes out.

ok, it was just that i spent the last few days going over journals of people, and most of them involve something like "my new octo is exploring the tank, shes so cute, shes already eaten two fiddler crabs and seems to want more, i love my new octo!" so i expected an experience something like that. I dont mind waiting, i just worry about her eating. i should get the fiddlers soon, so she will have a wide choice of food (larger crabs, shrimp, fiddlers, snails)..hopefully i will see evidence of her eating..

If you were to look at all the journals and posts, you'd find PLENTY of people with your experience. I think the ones with the most outgoing octopuses post a lot at the beginning. I've certainly experienced the "disappearing octopus" myself. I know it's disappointing, but hang on, she has to get adjusted to the tank and learn to feel safe. This doesn't mean she will always be this shy.

Nancy

ok i hope so. Ive followed all of your advice so far even though it is hard to resist not to look for her, i have managed to leave her alone. hopefully it wont be long until starts acting like that of the others who got an octo from live aquaria

Seems here lately several of those more "outgoing from the get-go" octos don't live long either. It might just be the personality of your octopus. More of a hermit, shy.

AM,
I have been thinking on that too and wondered about your last two. From other reading and my own observations with the Mercs when a octopus starts in to sensence, it tends to become more active (even the Mercs - and may be why Einy was more active when returned to the larger tank) and more interactive (Trapper would crawl onto my hand in the end and sit there for flash pictures). The shyer ones seem to grow into their tanks (like Biddle) and may be younger (my Merc babies were very shy for 5 months even though they knew no other environment). I have also noticed that the males have been more outgoing than the females.

hopefully you guys are right, I did notice that more outgoing once did tend to die earlier, i especially remember when everyone got those hummelincki (sp?) from saltwaterfish and none seemed to survive,, though i dont know why they did but they were all incredibly outgoing. I will just let Fecha come out on her own when shes ready, im trying to do as little as possible around her tank so as not to scare her.

Yes! im not so worried anymore, since it seems Fecha has eaten. Today i found the remains of a half eaten shrimp. The exoskeleton and some meat was left, which is typical left overs of octopus meals (according to other threads i read). I still haven't figured out were exactly her den is, but do aculeatus usually leave their leftovers near their den (maybe this will help guide me towards what area i should look in)?

Cant help with the den part but Congrats on the observation!!! I am happy for you and her, hopefully we will have a pair of these guys growing up together lol

Here are some shots I just got of him--the blurry one is just to give arm length

oops, wrong thread-- sorry bout that simple

if this could get deleted I already reposted in mine

Attachments

• conv_291970.jpg
    conv_291970.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 134
  • conv_291971.jpg
    conv_291971.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 99
  • conv_291972.jpg
    conv_291972.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 84
  • conv_291973.jpg
    conv_291973.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 75
yea i read about the pebble thing in the paper you showed us, but i dont have any pebbles in my tank, so i dont know if shes using something else. Should i put pebbles? also, i just found a crab eating a shrimp in Fecha's tank,which means Fecha might not have eaten the shrimp i found earlier. I took the crab out and placed new shrimp in there. Fiddler crabs come on wednesday, she should be able to hold out until then, i hope.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back