Fecha's Journal

Yes, D has made a good suggestion about the rock. I would go even further and make sure all rocks are very stable - even a small octopus is VERY strong and can topple any rock that isn't secure. Even when I had secure "vertical elements" in my tank, my bimac rearranged them to a more horizontal look. I know why you're arranging them that way, so you'll have a little more visual interest higher up, but it's not the way to go.

Do you have amphipods in your tank? Small octopuses will eat amphipods, snails, small crabs, etc that they find in your tank.

Nancy

Ok today in the morning i saw Fecha out for about half a minute, then i left for 10 seconds to get my camera, and she was gone, i looked around but couldnt find her. I just got back from school and i still havent found her. Im worried she hasnt eaten since i havent seen any shells or signs of messy eating..is there anything i can do to coax her out and get her to eat? I put Cyclop-eeze in there like you dwhatley recommended, but still nothing. I will keep trying..hopefully shell come out later today. I have my camera next to the tank now just in case

ive been looking through the tank the whole day since i got home. literally. I even used a flashlight with all the lights off to be able to see in holes, but nothing. I also put a shrimp on a skewer and placed it around rocks to see if he'd come out, but still nothing, and it doesnt seem she has eaten anything. Im getting really worried. Please, help me out. I know it take time for them to come out but Aculeatus are supposed to be quite active and i only saw her once in the morning when i turned the lights on. any help would be good, thanks

Mine always comes out late.. i havnt seen bud since this morning, dont fret, if you water fine i am sure he/she is too,

The disappearance of a new octopus into the rocks, and a worried octo keeper are somthing we've experienced repeatedly over the years.

Here are some things to consider: your octopus is stressed, in unfamiliar surroundings and it's natural to hide for a while, even weeks.

If you have a mature tank with amphipods, you'll find that your octopus may be dining on them. Or sometimes your octopus will find a crab or a snail to snack on.

An octopus can disappear in front of you. It will take some practice to spot your octopus.

Don't turn the tank upside down looking for your lost octopus. Continue to offer food.

Nancy

ok thank you. I will try crabs tomorrow since the shrimp might be too fast and big for it. i have slightly high nitrates but nothing too worry about too much, besides that all my levels are perfect. I ordered an RO/DI unit online and a new skimmer for the tank just in case
as well as macro to lower help lower nitrates.

Simple,
There are several reports that the octos will watch a monitor or TV for long periods of time so if your tank is near a TV or computer, try making your self visible but sitting quietly. Otherwise, read a book near by but try to say close without actually interacting with the tank for at least an hour (do your homework :biggrin2:). One thing you DON'T want is a lot of movement in front of the tank. Move very slowly when you must venture from your observation post. Even now Sisty, who has absolutely no fear of me or my hand inside the tank, will bolt if I move rapidly. No more tank rearrangement for at least two weeks (unless she does it on her own).

ok i will do my homework in there with a light. I have been moving a lot in front of the tank looking for her, so that might have been what scares her. I saw her in the morning again, but like usual she darted for a rock and hid. Should i keep the room dark for a while? I will try and buy crabs for her since i think shes not eating the shrimp..

Yes, try some crabs and a perhaps a small snail or two.

The suggestion to sit and read in front of the tank is excellent. You remain quiet and she gets used to you.

Nancy

there have always been snails in there. I bought some crabs at the bait shop today but i think they are too big. They already came without claws and i put one in but not all of them, because they are about 3 inches across, and Fecha's mantle is really only about an inch. They didnt have anything smaller. Should i take the crab out or will Fecha be able to take something that big? Also, would it be ok to buy hermit crabs for her? they are pretty cheap down here, especially in bulk (100 or more)

Hermits wouldn't hurt either way. If Fecha doesn't eat them, they'll be a good clean up crew. I imagine she can take the crabs as long as they don't have large pinchers, just make sure to discard the leftovers because she probably won't eat the entire crab if they are that much larger than her.

ok, so should i put all of them in the tank? (i have 4 more) and none of then have pinchers. I will try hermit crabs as well..Im in my bed next to the tank on a laptop following dwhatley's advice. I still haven't seen her but im sure she is watching me..wherever she is..

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back