Fave Mythos beastie/person

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I dunno, I guess as a continuation of the "Favourite Lovecraft Story" thread. I was going to do a poll untill I remembered the amount of monsters in the Mythos! No doubt I'd leave out someone's fave! So yeah, just plop your fave beastie, or character even, in this here thread! Plus if you want to give a reference to a story then that'd be cool for other folks too! :biggrin2:

So here's mine:

1: Elder Beings; At the Mountains of Madness, and I think Dreams in the Witch House
2: Shoggoths; At the Mountains of Madness
3: Mi-go; Whisperer in Darkness
4: those strange floating worms in Terror from the Depths
5: Randolf Carter
6: Richard Pickman (am I right?? Been so long since I've read Pickman's Model)
7: of course, Cthulhu!; Call of Cthulhu, and mentioned in a couple others

Graeme- just realised how weird and daft this thread is!!!

ah, I kinda meant Mythos characters... sorry:lol: I shoulda paid more attention to what I was typing.
But hey, I suppose iffen you wanna include characters from other authors and sources, then just whatever.

Graeme

OK Then

Dragons (zillions of dragon legends in Oriental and Celtic Myths)
Cthulhu
the Kraken (norse myths)
Diana/Athena (Greek/Roman Mythology)
Taniwha (NZ mythical beastie that lives in streams. lakes and caves)

oh and of course Tree Octopus and NZ rainforest Nautilus!!! :lol:

J

Graeme said:
1: Elder Beings; At the Mountains of Madness, and I think Dreams in the Witch House
2: Shoggoths; At the Mountains of Madness
3: Mi-go; Whisperer in Darkness
4: those strange floating worms in Terror from the Depths
5: Randolf Carter
6: Richard Pickman (am I right?? Been so long since I've read Pickman's Model)
7: of course, Cthulhu!; Call of Cthulhu, and mentioned in a couple others

Graeme- just realised how weird and daft this thread is!!!

I love that I can come to a cephalopod message board and talk about Lovecraft.

1. In the Mythos, the critters are referred to as Elder Things or Old Ones.
4. Terror from the Depths?
6. Yes - Richard Upton Pickman if I recall correctly.

For myself, I gotta say Cthulhu - he's definitely the most visually interesting, though the descriptions of byakhee and hounds of Tindalos
have always been very evocative to me.

In the roleplaying game I helped create - Spaceship Zero - there are a number of Lovecraft beasties that we adapted for 1950's pulp scifi. The hydronauts are deep ones in space suits. The astro-automatons are mi-go who have transplanted their own brains into robot bodies. Mind bugs are similar in some ways to insects of Shaggai. And let's not forget the star behemoths!

IIRC the Elder Things are also refferred to as Elder Beings (well they are in the RPG:biggrin2:)
I think it was Terror from the Depths. By Fritz Lieber I think. I think they were these weird wormlike creatures with wings and seemed to float. Also, I think their mouths were described as being like that of a leech or lamprey, and they'd visit the main character in his dreams, and were supposedly beneath his family house in huge iridescent caverns... I won't say much more for fear of giving the plot away; but it's definitely worth reading!

Graeme

Jean said:
OK Then

Dragons (zillions of dragon legends in Oriental and Celtic Myths)
Cthulhu
the Kraken (norse myths)
Diana/Athena (Greek/Roman Mythology)
Taniwha (NZ mythical beastie that lives in streams. lakes and caves)

oh and of course Tree Octopus and NZ rainforest Nautilus!!! :lol:

J

and I always thought the word Mythos was invented by Derleth :lol: oh well. Jean, I remember in an old school reading book, a story about the Taniwha, was it not supposed to be absolutely massive? like a huge sea-dragon? I used to refer to this sitehttp://webhome.idirect.com/~donlong/monsters/monsters.htm for mythological animals,it's good, but doesn't cover every mythological beast (that would take years to compile!!)

Graeme

LOL...that guy has way too much time on his hands! Very good stuff...legos rock!

Anyone play the Legos Star Wars video game for Gamecube (or any of the other systems)? It is AWESOME. Episodes IV - VI to be released in the fall...

I'm already getting b'd at about playing mechwar too much...though a new starwars game sounds...ooh, intriguing! Now, when is Shanlyn's next full workday...hmmm.

Ah! A Mechwarrior! I remember being on the other side, playing MPBT: Solaris on AOL games way back in the day. And I also remember the tremendous coolness of the MPBT:3025 betatest before EA killed it.

Dan

I played online for quite a long time in Jade Falcon...callsign Kestrel...what squad did you fight with?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back