Farewell spit wash up

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by OB, Dec 23, 2005.

1. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I thought the latter "globster" was shown by DNA to be some sort of whale part, although I may be getting it mixed up with another one.

That's a great archi specimen, though. It looks as if some of its arms are longer than the others-- that's just that there are parts missing, right? At least, I thought archi's arms were all pretty much the same size... Could it have lost some arms and been growing them back?

3. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

ob I'm a crypto-crypto-cryptozoologist. so I only investigate double secret animals. lol

BTW, I love crypto and hope there are sea serpents out there still.

4. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

That particular specimen is now in Germany with Gunther von Hagens. There's a thread here somewhere that discusses it .... but that was quite a while ago.

5. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

I sort of assumed most of the sea serpents, particularly the "maned" sea serpents, could now be explained as oarfish, even if they writhe side-to-side, instead of up-and-down in the traditional undulating patterns associated with, say, the Gloucester Sea Serpent.

I saw some footage a couple years ago of a bunch of people wrestling a netted oarfish in a rocky cove. Iridescent silver with a bright red mane, and ridiculously long - well over twenty feet. Probably, based on the video footage, more like thirty-five. It thrashed and put up a goodly fight, too. Poor blighter, but good fighter.

I would have rather seen footage of it at depth in the wild, perfectly healthy, than dying inshore like that, but man, it was very impressive. I'm sure some of you saw this footage as well. Anybody else ever seen good footage of a healthy specimen of good size in the wild? I'd love to construct a Chinese-parade-dragon version of an oarfish and could use access to such visual documentation.

6. monty

I can't help with the oarfish itself, but Andrea and I did a few dragon dances in Chinese New Year's parades with our Tai Chi/ Kung Fu class, so if you construct the beast, we could help it move...

7. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Wow. That's amazing. You're on! Not this show, but the next, definitely. And I want to make a parade squid for Tonmocon II, so I'm conscripting you for that!

8. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I grew up in Arkansas and we had a local monster ( the white river monster) explained as a missplaced seal. forget about the fact that alligator gar are common in the area and I have personally seen a 12 foot specimen mounted in a deer camp. let alone bull sharks, alligators, and the occasional large sturgeon, all of which if not common occur in the area.

9. monty

Er, I'm not sure that dragon-dance movements will work for a squid like it might for an oarfish, but I'll be happy to give it a shot...

10. OB

Oarfish in its natural habitat

Here's some of the few pictures ever taken of an oarfish in its natural environment. It appears that their preferred (feeding?) position is "hanging" vertically, although they're sometimes also found at the surface, swimming "tipped over", like flatfish; the latter might actually account for apparently vertical undulations...

For futher live action, check http://www.divernet.com/biolog/0805oarfish.shtml

And for an underwater video, proving mostly how effective reflective camouflage can be: http://www.thejump.net/multimedia/OutdoorVideos.html

PS: The picture to the left is a dead stranded specimen, found in Oz, Feb '05

Attached Files:

11. cttlfish

cttlfish Blue Ring Registered

we were just in florida (sarasota, west coast) and we found what I believe to be an immature oarfish, stranded on the beach. it was long (4 inches), thin, and translucent. we have a short video of it swimming around in a large clam shell, if anyone is interested.

12. OB

Oh goody, any chance of that being sent to Tony, to be posted in the "off topic" supporter's forum? Fully credited, of course?

For reference, please check: http://hugo.losgaan.nl/fish-id.htm

13. cttlfish

cttlfish Blue Ring Registered

"Oh goody, any chance of that being sent to Tony, to be posted in the "off topic" supporter's forum? Fully credited, of course?"

um...mabye. I'm not a supporter yet, that may or may not be a problem.

as for the pictures, yeah, it kinda looked like that, but smaller, and with less frilly bits. we threw it back in the ocean after a brief attempt on my part to convince my parents that raising an oarfish would be feasable...
    oh well.

14. myopsida

myopsida Vampyroteuthis Supporter

15. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

16. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I wonder if Pete on the South Island will order those in and turn them into his famous Pete's Possum Pies!

Cheers!

17. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Didn't the possum's run?:shock:

18. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

They did once upon a time. (Sorry... :roll:)

19. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Possums tend to freeze in car headlights, which makes them easy to hit.

Not that I support the random attack on possums by cars but DOC and the whale rescuers probably didn't care much about the possums as they are considered to be a noxious pest which destroys native plants and raids native bird nests!

J

20. Feelers

Feelers Vampyroteuthis Registered

There are so many of them here, lots of people swerve to hit them on purpose. Its not often that saving the environment includes brutally killing fluffy animals - but it has to be done. :grin:

If you have ever seen a possum up close - they are vicious. They make this horrible hissing screaming sound - and they can do a lot of damage with those claws, and many have tuberculosis.
    They can take a huge amount of damage and just keep on kicking.

I knew someone with a pet possum - and ironically he backed over it with his car by accident.