• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Face burn

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
3 of my adults (one went to Paradox) have what I am calling face burn. It appears that they have lost flesh on the upper arms where they usually rub against the aquarium glass. I have never seen this before, and its odd to have 3 have it this time.
It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the size of the divided aquarium they are in - the one in the smallest division is perfectly fine.
It looks pretty gruesome, but doesn't seem to effect them much. It seems neither to be healing nor getting worse.

Ive not seen this in any of my previous batches of Bandensis. I do believe you are correct to say its due to rubbing against the glass.

With the male in my system, it seems to interact with its own reflection in the glass.

Do any of your females show this? Perhaps its from males trying to mate with their reflection?

On another note: How old is this batch now? Mine has recently shown a decline in interest in frozen shrimp.

No more females, sadly.

It may be from fighting injuries, but it does seem odd that the injuries are exactly where they rub their arms on the glass. Until someone sees it happen, we won't really know.

This batch is nearing its end. I would have to check on dates to give you an accurate age. Mine are also showing signs of senescence.

Cool. Nice to know it isn't an isolated incident. Weird it never happened before with mine though. I'm off to paint all the tanks black...

Thales;108375 said:
Cool. Nice to know it isn't an isolated incident. Weird it never happened before with mine though. I'm off to paint all the tanks black...

This never happened to my last batch, so before I do something drastic as paint my sides black, Im gonna see how my next gen does when moved into the main tank.

If they start showing this injury as well, I guess a nice hinged wood panel with an old style naval port hole would be a nice project :lol:

I haven't seen this with cuttles before... I think the rubbing on the glass idea seems the most obvious. Can the three males see each other clearly? Perhaps the smallest one already knows its place and isnt trying to fight?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back