Eyecatching discovery

Hello ob,

:shock:

Those are remarkable photographs of a stunning animal. The shots demonstrating Tremoctopus's countershading abilities (at the surface) are very interesting. What a thrill it must have been to swim with it.

Great find.

Cheers,
Clem

Yeah, the pictures are so fabulous that I figured they'd make a good avatar! The tool using is really neat, read about that somewhere else to but never saw a picture of it. According to a few sources (Nesis and tolweb) during an attach on a Tremoctopus when a piece of the arm is removed a great section of the webbing tears off along certain lines. The pieces of webbing includes some of the ocellar spots and is thought to act as a screen and confuse the predator while the octo escapes. Pretty cool, eh? I have no ideas as far as the "holes" go. I would absolutely LOVE to go snorkelling with these amazing creatures. Definitely a treat!

Cheers!

:vampyro: in a chilled aquarium tank... ah, bliss. This little guy seems like it might do better in captivity, but you never know...

I bet if we all pooled some money we could force a sponser a marine bio lab to try and keep a jelly-octo (too sleepy to check real wording) or a Vampy in captivity, make a octoCAM would be nice.....*keeps on dreaming*

Sorry, I like daydreaming...:oops:

Well I'm keen
- just for a bit of entertainment we should come up with the "Official Tonmo reccomended tank specifications for keeping Vampyroteuthis infernalis."

zweite_seite_komplett.jpg

Tank Size: While vampy's dont get very large in comparison to some octopuses(O vulgaris, P condiformis), a "more the merrier approach" is the general rule of thumb with this species.

Oxygenation: 5%- 0.25 ml O2/l

Lighting : Total darkness, preferably in a specially designed dark room, uv lights could possibly be used as a light source.

Optimal Temp:

Skimmer: A good quality skimmer is a must, not only for inking events but also for maintence of tank parameters.

Tank Parameters:

Aquascaping: Very little to none, your vampy will require lots of room in order to feel most comfortable and move freely.

Aquiring your v. Infernalis. This species does not often appear in the pet trade, and if you see one you are highly advised to take it - this opportunity might not arise again for quite some time. :smile:

Feeding your v. Infernalis.

Ect. Add anything you can, I am genuinely interested in what would be needed, perhaps in the future when I'm older and have money I could look into it. But for now my curiosity is getting the better of me.
If you wanted to catch one what would you do? What does it eat? What size tank? What temp? I think they are at about 700m,?

Come-on you research types, if you had to bang up a vampy tank for a project what would it be?

Regarding catching, I believe there's at least one submersible that is capable of such a task. Can't remember which one, but I kind of think it was in relation to the whole "eye-in-the-sea" project. Basically it used the same sort of tactics as others, get close to the slow creature and scoop it up in a great big jar. The big difference, however, was that the jar used was sealed from light and insulated so that the water inside remained the same temperature. I can't remember if they caught any cephs, but I'm pretty sure they were successful with bringing up crabs and shrimp (maybe even fish) to the surface and observing them in aquaria for a short period of time.
With Steve's work in growing on deep sea paralarva, this idea might not be as far fetched as possible, minus the whole lack of funding for such an operation and the doubts regarding what this would contribute scientifically (well actually less scientifically, as this would be a really cool project, and more economically, and how you could justify getting funding for such a project). I would definitely sign up for it anyways, though!

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back