Eyecatching discovery

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by OB, Nov 3, 2005.

1. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

#1    Top
  2. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Beautiful animal, very gracful...and it looks like a dress tossed under water......8-)

3. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Wow! Incredible! Does anyone know what all that webbing is for, and if thats the right word for it?

Cheers!

4. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Beautiful, just beautiful.

5. OB

Could be for display purposes only, to capture prey or to improve specialized locomotion/gliding... Given the 1:40000 weight ratio between the genders, it might have a specific function during mating, even. Any suggestions from the octopusologists:grin:?

#5    Top
  6. CapnNemo

CapnNemo Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Fantastic images, great find ob. :grin:

7. OB

Thanks, please notice the eggs as carried/sheltered by this particular female.

#7    Top
  8. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

vit entre 120 et 750 metres de profondeur?

I know water conditions make it hard to judge depth sometimes, but if that's any deeper than 30m I'll eat my wetsuit. So is the claim that it's found between 120m and 750m wrong, or was this photo shoot some sort of anomaly?

She's a beauty, though, for sure...

9. OB

Given the fact that both occasions (that I know of, anyway...) where this species was photographed at the surface involved females laden with eggs, it might be that the release of a new generation takes place higher up the watercolumn for reasons of avoiding predation or food abundance?

#9    Top
  10. main_board

Food abundance makes sense, though I though usually cephs just released the eggs in one fasion or another and let the little ones find their way to the surface. And the colours!! That really made me question whether they were deep dwellers as they look it in other regards, but the colours are just fabulous! I know colour is not a definitive characteristic of shallower species, but wow! just Wow! Check out tolweb.org: http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Tremoctopus&contgroup=Argonautoida
    for somemore really cool pictures including a series from Florida taken at about 15 m depth. Not as colourful, but still amazing. Plus that one has these two filaments coming off its web which are actually extensions of arms I. They're description says this about their vertical distribution:
    "...occupy surface waters of tropical and subtropical oceans..."
    Cool!

Cheers!

11. OB

Nice avatar, main board :wink:

:cheers: Great stuff linking the Tree of Life page. It taught me something significant: that juvenile Tremoctopus have tool using skills! This type of behaviour is also known from (hermit) crabs, that will haul around a sea anemone for protection, but the wielding of Portuguese man o' war tentacles, something else again. How does it get them? Fascinating stuff....

12. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

As a huge lover of the more obscure, deep-water Cthulhoid cephs like the cirrate octopuses, vampyromorphs, and others with ridiculous webbing, I'm so happy to see these amazing photos. I had no idea anything that exotic got that close to the surface. Thank you so much for posting these! What a beautiful, beautiful creature. I'd love to swim with one. Looks bigger than I would have expected, too! Nice.
    :smile:

13. Infusoria

Infusoria Vampyroteuthis Registered

Truely amazing photos

14. OB

Could someone perhaps tell me what purpose the "holes in the head" in Tremoctopus serve? :confused:

Thanks a mil'

Olaf

15. chrono_war01

But since science keeps revising itself, I wonder about the filaments and Vampy....:hmm: ..but the again, I am no expert and is posting this in the interest of tell you guys what's happening is my tiny brain.

16. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Hello ob,

:shock:

Those are remarkable photographs of a stunning animal. The shots demonstrating Tremoctopus's countershading abilities (at the surface) are very interesting. What a thrill it must have been to swim with it.

Great find.

Cheers,
    Clem

17. main_board

Yeah, the pictures are so fabulous that I figured they'd make a good avatar! The tool using is really neat, read about that somewhere else to but never saw a picture of it. According to a few sources (Nesis and tolweb) during an attach on a Tremoctopus when a piece of the arm is removed a great section of the webbing tears off along certain lines. The pieces of webbing includes some of the ocellar spots and is thought to act as a screen and confuse the predator while the octo escapes. Pretty cool, eh? I have no ideas as far as the "holes" go. I would absolutely LOVE to go snorkelling with these amazing creatures. Definitely a treat!

Cheers!

18. Feelers

Feelers Vampyroteuthis Registered

I'm still waiting on a pet vampiroteuthis :grin:

Has anyone captured any gelatinous octos before and kept them successfully?

19. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

:vampyro: in a chilled aquarium tank... ah, bliss. This little guy seems like it might do better in captivity, but you never know...

20. chrono_war01

I bet if we all pooled some money we could force a sponser a marine bio lab to try and keep a jelly-octo (too sleepy to check real wording) or a Vampy in captivity, make a octoCAM would be nice.....*keeps on dreaming*

Sorry, I like daydreaming...:oops: