• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Eye Spots on Bimacs

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Here's a good question from my 16 year old son. He was feeding Ink a crab and wanted to know what the deal was with the blue spots, why they change color so quickly compared to the rest of him. I thought maybe it was a defensive behavior, like the fish that have fake eyes away from the vital organs so a predator would attack a less vital spot of it's body???

Told him I'd post this and see what the answers are!!!

Carol

Most eyespot colouration in the animal kingdom serves a dual purpose, both as defensive (as you stated) and as aggressive (the eye spots flare when the octopus inflates itself to challenge another octo or a invader, making it look larger and much more impressive)...caterpillars use this strategy a lot also...
Good question! Bimacs are very fascinating animals...
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back