eye size question

I think the Te Papa specimen had a larger eyeball than any Architeuthis, but I'm not certain. I also don't know if it had a bigger pupil (all the better to see you with, in the dark).

The eyeball of the record te papa Mesonychoteuthis I measured was (approximately) 245 mm across, whatever wikipedia or the press releases say (275 mm is bogus). Its pupil/lens was 80 mm across. The eye on the 170 kg 1.8 meter ML Architeuthis we had along for the ride was considerably smaller, 163 mm, but literature puts its maximum size at 250 mm. I have some doubts towards the validity of that statement; I would guess that with a maximum ML of 2.25 m it doesn't get much beyond 200 mm, but that's just me... I am not the world expert on the topic.... Steve?

Steve is brain dead when it comes to recollecting figures like this Olaf. Nevertheless, Mesonychoteuthis wins, without a doubt. There's no contest as far as I'm concerned.

Uh.... okally-dokally, but what's all this got to do with cephalopod eye size? :confused:

EnergyRecru, methinks you've posted to the wrong thread.

EnergyRecru;128207 said:
Spirulina Platens is, a blue-green algae, has been recognized and used worldwide as a traditional source of protein in the food industry. The uses and mass cultivation of this algae have risen substantially due to an increased understanding of its biological systems.; This text contains detailed descriptions of both the biology and the biotechnological uses of Spirulina Platens is. Part One focuses on the physiology, morphology, photosynthesis and genetics of laboratory cultures. Part Two discusses the practical uses in biotechnology industries, such as: the cultivation on flat-plate reactors; mass cultures outdoors; uses in wastewater treatment and the use of biomass. It offers critiques of the problems encountered and discussions of the future commercial prospects for large- scale production.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back