Extra arms?

They are curiosities indeed; rather like some of the genetic oddities that afflict humans.

The mantle shape and size of that 96-armed octopus certainly seem unusual to me.

It is hard to tell about the mantle since the live photo is a post brood (or possibly prebrood with eggs) female and after formalin the animals look quite different than in real life. Cassy prebrood with eggs had a similar odd look to the mantle.

That was this thread. The octos had 8 'normal'-looking arms at the bases, but the tips split into many branches. In the instance above, here, it looks like a similar thing has happened but only once, and nearer the base of the arm, so that it looks like a whole extra arm.

Didn't we have a threat about a penta- or hexapus recently, too?

The last discussion I remember was when this one (in the original topic of the post) was first by the restaurant but I am batting 0 on finding things this week (but I DID find a reference to the post I was looking for and you found Kat :roll:)

Wow, the branching arms are cool. As someone said on that thread, my first thought was injury then regrowth issues, I've seen it in lizards like this one -
But that would need the octo to be losing arms almost constantly and the same fault happening each time, would she even survive so many injuries?
The thing I liked about the nine armed one is that it's all regular, humans with extra fingers or toes for example often have one that isn't quite right, but all the 9 arms seem perfectly normal, I'm not sure what that says, but it's just pretty cool.

Attachments

• conv_298486.jpg
    conv_298486.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 122
Yes, the 'ninth' arm is a branch of the arm to which the finger is pointing. Note that its suckers do not extend in toward the beak in the same way as those on the eight true arms.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back