Expanding from reefkeeping

Vayder1

Hatchling
Registered
Hello all,

I've had a love of ocean creatures of all types most of my life. I've recently set up a sucessful reeftank which you can check out at 55g Tank 2 1/2 Months Check it

Anyway one day at my LFS they had an octopuss in and I fell in love. I've been reading on your site quite a bit to learn about care etc.

I'm getting a 60gal cube this weekend for my future friend.

A few questions:
What species is good for beginers?

Besides LR, does anyone use live sand?

Skimmer: better to have sump or HOTB?

Purchase: I live in San Diego, anyone know where I can get one, or is there a reputable online site where I can get one?

Thanks in advance, And I will be sharing my Journey.

Tom
(vayder1)

One cannot define what is sort of octos are "good" for beginners, since their personality vary from animal to animal, although some are generally known to be more active and easy to rear (such as a bimac). But since octos are not exactly a easy to find animal in fish stores, you might have to make do with whatever you can get.

Hi Tom.

You're in luck! Living near San Diego you can collect your own bimac with a bit of patience. Oh, to be you :smile:

You're definately on the right track as far as equipment goes. Most HOB equipment is worthless--go with a sump and you won't regret it.

I don't buy live sand. I think its kind of a racket. Ordinary sand will magically become "live" after you've had some live rock in with it for a while.

You're off to a great start!

Dan

Welcome!!

In regards to species, the common ones are probably the best such as bimacs, briarus and aculeutus. They seem to be the easiest to get a hold of.

I would suggest a sump for the more equipment you have in the tank or hanging on the tank, the more 'octo-proofing' will be required. Plus in sump skimmers are much more effective then HOBs. Some use sand, but a shallow bed is preffered. No DSBs for the octo will disrupt it. Barebottom makes for the most easily maintained tank in my opinion. After a while those crab shells build up!

If you have enough room in the sump, you can always add a section for more live rock for added filtration. I always think refugiums are a good idea for octo tanks, since the octos will eat most typical tank cleaning critters.

DHyslop;77713 said:
Hi Tom.

You're in luck! Living near San Diego you can collect your own bimac with a bit of patience. Oh, to be you :smile:

Dan

Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice. I think I'll go sump with a fuge. Now as far a catching a bimac - any more info on this? I actually do a bit of snorkelling and spear fishing but I've never come across an octo in SD my whole life (I'm 31)

Are they shallow water, tidepool, need to scuba 30' or more?
And what methods are commonly used to catch them?

Thanks again. I can't wait for all of this to unfold.

Tom,

:welcome: to tonmo.com! I think the bimacs are caught in tide pools. And btw, you have one kick-arse reef tank! :thumbsup: :biggrin2:

Joey

:welcome: Paradox beat me to pointing me at the other thread. For what it's worth, even though I have no octo-tank, I would love to go rendezvous with you and Marineboy down in SD for a bimac safari; I'd donate any I found to your tank or to "catch and release" experience...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back