• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ever kept an octopus in a 92 gallon corner aquarium?

A 92 gallon corner tank has a footprint that is 1/4 of a circle. The front is curved, and the distance from the front glass to the rear 90 degree corner is 34", minus the back corner over flow box, so call it 30". That's a long way, and I'm a little worried about making it so easy for the octopus to be 30" away. Am I likely to be frustrated that the bimac is too far away to see most of the time? Water tends to magnify things and make them look closer, so maybe it won't be a problem, but I'm looking for opinions.

BTW,
One reason I like the idea of a 92 corner is that I'm going to chill my water to around 60 degrees, and a 92 corner has less surface area per gallon than any other shaped tank, and so can be insulated more easily (I also plan to bend a sheet of acrylic or lexan around the front to make it double paned, so all sides will be insulated).

Be sure to document the pros and cons. I keep thinking I want to convert the 140 pent to an octopus or cuttlefish environment. It is a pain in the backside to maintain so reducing the lighting would be a real win for maintenance. I would pretty much have to take it all apart to set it up properly and have two residence that would have to move but, other than a lot of time and effort, I would not have to spend much to convert it. Because finding a larger octopus (I would not want a nocturnal as it would never be seen) is difficult it might mean it would be empty a lot but I keep debating on spending the effort.

One of my tanks is a corner bowfront. Unfortunatly its the tank Sedona is in so I dont have much to report. I will say that location is more important than actual surface area IMO. My corner tank is in a corner with no windows but there are some windows on the other side of the wall. In the summer it gets warm and in the winter it gets cold. In Isis tank I dont need a heater to stablize the tank temp as its not very cold here but in Sedonas tank I do other wise it swings wildly. I also think you will have problems seeing them if they are babies when you get them. I have only seen Sedona once and sucker shed once and shes in a smaller tank. Just my :twocents:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back