Euprymna scolopes

What species of zoo plankton do you use? Whats your loss? I have lots of Harpacticoida.
longarmlabs001004.jpg

I collected the zooplankton my self so it is a mixture of species, The loss rate can be high if not given constant care when they first hatch with deaths attributed to lack of food. They also need a upwelling tank for the first couple of weeks because they are in a planktonic phase.

I've spent four months trying to optimize survival during the paralarval phase of E. scolopes with no great success! You should be happy if you get 20% survival. The problem in this species and most other cephalopod with planktinic hatchlings is that it's very hard to induce feeding. Personally, I've tried feeding them copepods but with no success, even after having enriched them with selco! However, I've seen (and filmed) relatively large mysids being often captured by one-day old hatchlings but unfortunately the majority did not feed. The only published studies with high survival was by feeding mysids and not copepods (hanlon et al 1997; claesand dunlap,2000).
I found that feeding very small amounts as often as possible trigger feeding and increases survival. Also try your best to avoid premature hatching, and keeping prey and hatchlings suspended in the water column is also v. important

Anyway, i could go on and on
good luck qnd
keep us posted on your progress

Positively wicked thread!!! Upwelling? Exactly what do you mean? Have you a spray bar at the bottom of the tank, or some other device that gives you a uniform upwelling current? Is cylindrical essential for these guys?

Cylindrical is indeed essential to keep the paralarvae constantly swiming. It is good to avoid small spaces such as right angles in rectangular chambers because they attract the tiny hatchlings (~2 mm ML) and then swim crazily against the corners leading to skin damage.
Upwelling or any kind of generated inflow that keeps the hatchlings and prey suspended in the water strongly enhance predator-prey encounter especially when you use benthic mysids as food for planktonic hatchlings!

Cylindrical!?! Please, no. That would mean that my dreams of having squid tanks (and bob-tail squids) have been postponed again, darn.
I though only squids need a cylindrical tank, but NOW you tell me I also need that for bob tails.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back