EU divided over proposed ban on discards

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
http://www.seafoodsource.com/newsarticledetail.aspx?id=9401

01 March, 2011 - EU Fisheries Commissioner Maria Damanaki’s proposal to ban the practice of discarding fish at sea, which she unveiled at a meeting in Brussels on Tuesday, is drawing a flurry of reaction from politicians, fishermen and industry players; some are applauding her proposal, while others are calling it draconian.
This seems like a great idea on paper, but I honestly don't see how it would be feasible for the industry nor do I see any wide-spread support for it from the industry either.

Unless there can be some sort of huge innovation in terms of limiting by-catch and discards in addition to the public starting to be less queasy about eating fish that's less commonly seen as 'edible', I don't see this being realistic at all.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Without much knowledge on how much this would limit catches (because the holds were partially filled with undesireables), it would seem counter to what I have been taught about the benefit of leaving the dead as food for the living.

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
I maybe digressing, but I'm sure if you give the Chinese enough time, we could make any by-catch into a semi-edible state,. Heck, if stranded Archis were common along the Chinese coast, we'd probably have a recipe to make it not as...ammonia flavored as it originally is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AquariumDepot

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak