EU divided over proposed ban on discards

http://www.seafoodsource.com/newsarticledetail.aspx?id=9401

01 March, 2011 - EU Fisheries Commissioner Maria Damanaki’s proposal to ban the practice of discarding fish at sea, which she unveiled at a meeting in Brussels on Tuesday, is drawing a flurry of reaction from politicians, fishermen and industry players; some are applauding her proposal, while others are calling it draconian.

This seems like a great idea on paper, but I honestly don't see how it would be feasible for the industry nor do I see any wide-spread support for it from the industry either.

Unless there can be some sort of huge innovation in terms of limiting by-catch and discards in addition to the public starting to be less queasy about eating fish that's less commonly seen as 'edible', I don't see this being realistic at all.

Without much knowledge on how much this would limit catches (because the holds were partially filled with undesireables), it would seem counter to what I have been taught about the benefit of leaving the dead as food for the living.

I maybe digressing, but I'm sure if you give the Chinese enough time, we could make any by-catch into a semi-edible state,. Heck, if stranded Archis were common along the Chinese coast, we'd probably have a recipe to make it not as...ammonia flavored as it originally is.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back