[Octopus]: ET - Octopus Hummelincki

He carries the general appearance of O. hummelincki, a species local to the FL Keys. However, he has some characteristics that puzzle me. I'm thinking O. hummelincki that is native to further south or west (Mexico) and might have a few cosmetic adaptations I am not used to but a different species is possible. These are small egg animals so the young can travel great distances and the recent hurricane may have brought new animals into the Keys (I know the collectors).

Simple answer, keep your fingers away from its mouth. Actual answer, it is unlikely you will get bitten from small octopuses. They are curious and will grab your finger but IME, they will determine you are not food and not bite. NEVER restrict the octo so that if feels trapped or cornered. Try to stay relaxed if it grabs you. I have been tested with nibbles but never had the skin broken. HOWEVER, we have a thread about being bitten so it does happen. Allergies can be a serious problem. Unknown species and known lethal animals are an unwise pet.

Simple answer, keep your fingers away from its mouth. Actual answer, it is unlikely you will get bitten from small octopuses. They are curious and will grab your finger but IME, they will determine you are not food and not bite. NEVER restrict the octo so that if feels trapped or cornered. Try to stay relaxed if it grabs you. I have been tested with nibbles but never had the skin broken. HOWEVER, we have a thread about being bitten so it does happen. Allergies can be a serious problem. Unknown species and known lethal animals are an unwise pet.
What is the smallest interactive octopus species?
Thanks

Interaction is more individualized with the animal than with species. I have had both social and anti-social animals of all the species I have kept. That being said, it is rare for a dwarf species to be social at all.

I had one O. mercatoris that was social. Sisturus was one of the animals born in my tanks (first gen from Trapper). His siblings were not as interactive but possibly more so than wild caught. Several of my larger male O. hummelinkis and both my Callistoctopus aspilosomatis (Puddles and Beldar) would come to my hand without food incentives. I would also call my one vulgaris, LittleBit, social but she was less "tame" and slightly aggressive.

What size tank is necessary for a hummelincki?
Thanks
Squirrel1
This species probably has the largest range in sizes of any we keep. At one time (and I can no longer find the reference) it was actually classified as a dwarf (though bigger than an O. mercatoris by twice). It is now classified as medium. ET is in a 60+ with 35 sump and uses all of it. A 55 with sump would still do fine but I would hesitate on going smaller, especially if the tank was not long (ie the popular cubes would not give enough swimming room IMO. I think tank length is an important consideration for all but the mercs.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back