[Octopus]: Espy - Abdopus ?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
At least I am pretty confident in the A. part. Live Aquaria honored (as they always do) their guarantee without question (I called when it arrived to note the arrival condition of Dink) and had a replacement animal available. This little guy is obviously much healthier, came out to the red lit part of the tank tonight and took a thawed fiddler (but refused all other offerings). His mantle is roughly 1.5" and he is showing the typical Abdopus horns and eye star. I am excited that the tip of the third right arm was curled while he was out on the glass tonight (all other arms were spread straight) so I have my :fingerscrossed: this little one is a male.

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
He came out to the glass on the red light end again tonight as soon as the lights were off. Once he realizes we see him he waits for us to leave and then hides but has come back out after we leave. So far these are all normal, positive signs about his health.

During tonight's wall spotting I noticed that the third right arm was tightly rolled, not just the tip (initially, I could not see the arm at all and was concerned one was missing :roll:). We have had several small animals reported as nocturnal that never grew detectably. I am quite sure this is a male abdopus but don't have a clue if it is young aculeatus or an adult of another, smaller animal in the complex.

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
It's a shame you named the other one Dink... I love that name. xD

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, exactly what I said to Neal. I might go with InkADink, combining Dink with Inca in hopes that it won't have the same fate its namesakes.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
That's a great name too!

Verse:
What is that haunt -ing re -frain that you hear in the air?
Here and there, ev -'ry where,
It's just a beau -ti -ful strain that keeps taunt -ing my brain con -stant -ly,
It's my mel -o -dy it's my sy -pho -ny.

Chorus:
Ink -A Dink -Doo, A dink -a dee, A dink -a doo.
Oh, what a tune for croon -ing
Ink -A Dink -Doo, A dink a dee, A dink -a doo,
It's got the whole world spoon -ing.
Es -ki -mo bells up in Ice -land, Are ring -ing,
They've made their own Par -a -dise Land, Sing -ing
Ink -A Dink -Doo, A dink -a dee, A dink -a doo,
Simp -ly means Ink -A dink -A dee A dink -a doo.

tat2spyder

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
He looks good. hope he does better than your last one. i'll be watching this thread closely.

Lmecher

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
It's been too long. I need to check in more often. :hugs:

Congratulations on the new little addition. :smile:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
We decided to name him Espy (as in SP # for an unknown species). I am pretty sure he is in the Abdopus complex but believe he is an adult. The mantle size is smaller than the first joint on my pinky finger. His color is good and he patterns well but he is far to comfortable with touching and being touched to be a young octopus. He is sexually distinguishable so I would guess a minimum of 5 months old. Hopefully we will have a few months with him. So far he has shown several color variations, one including very yellow spots. He has avoided being seen in the daytime but has shown himself for food and after the lights turned off but tonight he was out for a couple of hours and had little issue investigating an offered finger. His grip is very light, a huge contrast to Diego.

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Espy Beginning Interaction Video

I am worried that Espy won't be with me long because of his age. He is active much of the day but does not really seem to hunt much. With insistance, he will take a crab (no shrimp or any other offered food) and will remove the top shell but it does not appear that he is eating much, if any. I added pods from one of the other tanks and I think I saw red octo poop (Cyclop-eeze) yesterday.

tat2spyder

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
my abdopus i got from LA acted very similar. very social, but not interested in food. i wonder if maybe LA has been sitting on a bunch of octopus, and they've grown old waiting for someone to buy them. i have seen them "on sale" twice in the past two months. not that i'm talking smack about LA because normally everything i get from there is awesome. but just an idea. makes me a little nervous about possibly ordering another octopus from LA any time soon.