• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Escape thru overflow Holes?

Looking to upgrade the tank for my Bimac octopus. His mantel is about
2.5 inches with approx. 6 inch legs. Can he escape thru the slots in an
all-glass mega-flow? Any Help would be app.

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

An octopus can get through a hole as large as its beak, and its beak is quite small. Bimacs are not as escape prone as some other species but they do go exploring from time to time.

I'm not familiar with that overflow, but I have a reef ready Oceanic Systems tank with an overflow that has holes around the top.

I've saved the mesh bags from fruits and vegetables (the harder mesh, not the softer one), washed and rinsed it carefully, and cut it into strips. I've woven these strips through the holes. It works! Other octo owners have come up with their own solutions or used mesh from different sources. It can't be too fine or it will clog up too quickly - as it is, it must be cleaned (with toothbrush) or replaced from time to time.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back