Ernst Haeckel and Rudolf Blaschka

I was wondering how many ceph fans are familiar with the works of Ernst Haeckel and Rudolf Blaschka?

Haeckel was a biologist and artist. Some plates from his book are for sale on ebay right now, I am sorely tempted, if I didn't have those three little cuttlefish mouths to feed...
http://cgi.ebay.com/1st-Ed-HAECKEL-...405876999QQcategoryZ10168QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rudolf Blaschka was an amazing glass artist. Some of his work is on display at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh right now in a temporary exhibit. I cannot describe the beauty and intricacy of these glass models. It is thought that he based his creations on Ernst Haeckel's work. He has created some glass cephalopods but his microscopic works are the most amazing... http://www.designmuseum.org/design/index.php?id=21

Attachments

• conv_302620.jpg
    conv_302620.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 368
  • conv_302621.jpg
    conv_302621.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 431
  • conv_302622.jpg
    conv_302622.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 184
Leopold and Rudolf Blaschka were a father and son team, the glass they used was a kind of soda glass and they didn't anneal any of their work, as it was so fine. they're truly the pinnacle of realist glass work. most of the colours are painted on with oil paints and need to be restored periodically, although a lot of their originals still show very vibrant colours. the harvard botanical commissioned them to do botanical work and are still in posession of a large body of their works. shipping this work from germany to america in those days must have been a nightmare!
they're legends amongst glassblowers!

I'm a big fan of all three of these amazing artists/craftsmen. Really, particularly the glass work, this was a true pinnacle of the craft.

Fantastic! I'm a really big fan of the glass models. I first heard of them only last year when they appeared in the Natural History Museums magazine. I think I posted about them here. here's a link to the NHM's site with more details of the models.

Discover

I was lucky enough to go and see some of them, they really are astonishing.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back