Eric's market adventure(s)

Gah, another question, now that I have the formalin, how much baking soad would I need, to what ratio would be good. I'd say that I have about 44ml of formalin. exactly how much would I need for a squid and what would be a good container? Glass?

i dont think you needed to go through the trouble of getting formalin. i preserved my cuttlefish in rubbing alcohol and hes doing just fine.i made him a home out of a flouescent light cover and temprary pvc end caps. he looks happy.. in a grousome kind of way. :smile:

Attachments

• conv_288099.jpg
    conv_288099.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 76
Another trip to the market brings in horrbile news:
It seems like that it's juvenile cuttle season again, I saw buckets and buckets ofr dead cuttles for sale in the market.
Also, it's octo season or someone is mass importing octos. I saw what looked like a slimy pile of octos, roughly 15-20 octos that has a eye-to-eye length of about 5-7cm, a huge red octo that lookd like a juvenile Pacific Giant, and a tiny one (perhaps a bimac) which was near transparent with a tinge of yellowish-mud color on the skin.
I could only afford to save the presumed bimac and a few by-catchs.

Saw a shark on sale too, though.

chrono_war01 said:
Another trip to the market brings in horrbile news:
It seems like that it's juvenile cuttle season again, I saw buckets and buckets ofr dead cuttles for sale in the market.
Also, it's octo season or someone is mass importing octos. I saw what looked like a slimy pile of octos, roughly 15-20 octos that has a eye-to-eye length of about 5-7cm, a huge red octo that lookd like a juvenile Pacific Giant, and a tiny one (perhaps a bimac) which was near transparent with a tinge of yellowish-mud color on the skin.
I could only afford to save the presumed bimac and a few by-catchs.

Saw a shark on sale too, though.

Already spending your own money for research purposes? :biggrin2:
I suppose it's the best (only?) way to get anything done those days. Bankrupt yourself and hope for the best... the thrill of science...
*looks at his can of baked beans for the week*
*sighs*
:sad:
I'm so glad I'm in research (really, wouldn't do anything else... don't think i actually can do anything else ... ok back to work!)

how much for the shark? any idea what species?

TPOTH

well, the shark looked fresh enough and it was at around the same price for some cod, I think. The shark was approx 3 feet to 3 and a half 3 feet long and has a rubbery grey color to it, presume reeg shark of some kind, not one tip or black tip though, might be a grey something shark or a juvenile something shark.

(seen the ED, but you arn't that old, are you?)

Another little question, how much formalin will a squid absorb?

And...

What sort of container should I store the formalin in?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back