Eric's market adventure(s)

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
Steve O'Shea said:
(I hope TTF isn't following this thread)
:twisted:

Steve O'Shea said:
I am absolutely drop-dead gorgeous, have a flawless complexion, am 6 foot 3, am super handsome, faultless, and have absolutely no vices...
:shock: So I'm doing my PhD under the supervision of your evil (fraternal) twin, or what?

Steve O'Shea said:
Eric, you have to tell your mum that I am not house trained, I'm not even potty trained, that I don't work regular hours, that I'm a very difficult fellow to live with (because of the hours I work), that I pour all of my money back into my science (much to the frustration of my wife, Shoba), and that MB doesn't pay a lot (although I am comfortable). It's not about money - it's about happiness, challenges, and the rewards that this profession has to offer.
That's all true, so we won't call you Owen yet. :wink:

um...

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Steve O'Shea said:
...I am absolutely drop-dead gorgeous, have a flawless complexion, am 6 foot 3, am super handsome, faultless, and have absolutely no vices... Your mom is still the coolest.
Who's the coolest?

Attachments

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Tintenfisch said:
:shock: So I'm doing my PhD under the supervision of your evil (fraternal) twin, or what?
or what.
That's all true, so we won't call you Owen yet. :wink:
mmm...
*preparing an email to :oshea:, starting with Dear Owen....*

just gotta try it...

TPOTH

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Gah, another question, now that I have the formalin, how much baking soad would I need, to what ratio would be good. I'd say that I have about 44ml of formalin. exactly how much would I need for a squid and what would be a good container? Glass?

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Colin said:
hehehe was that the payment for your mum for getting the formalin solution? :wink:
:lol: You could say that....hehehehe :wink:

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
another question, do I need to drefrost it first?

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
chrono_war01 said:
another question, do I need to drefrost it first?
Yup! If only to preserve your critters in a shape other than a square-ish block of ice :wink:

TPOTH

a rabid squid

GPO
Supporter
Reaction score
i dont think you needed to go through the trouble of getting formalin. i preserved my cuttlefish in rubbing alcohol and hes doing just fine.i made him a home out of a flouescent light cover and temprary pvc end caps. he looks happy.. in a grousome kind of way. :smile:

Attachments

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
ok....maybe Dr. SOS would answer our qeustions above. And maybe small animals such as your small cuttle could use alcohol, but large ones such as Archi couldn't.

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
hm...come to the think of it, I don't think I have enough formalin. :sad:

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Another trip to the market brings in horrbile news:
It seems like that it's juvenile cuttle season again, I saw buckets and buckets ofr dead cuttles for sale in the market.
Also, it's octo season or someone is mass importing octos. I saw what looked like a slimy pile of octos, roughly 15-20 octos that has a eye-to-eye length of about 5-7cm, a huge red octo that lookd like a juvenile Pacific Giant, and a tiny one (perhaps a bimac) which was near transparent with a tinge of yellowish-mud color on the skin.
I could only afford to save the presumed bimac and a few by-catchs.

Saw a shark on sale too, though.

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
chrono_war01 said:
Another trip to the market brings in horrbile news:
It seems like that it's juvenile cuttle season again, I saw buckets and buckets ofr dead cuttles for sale in the market.
Also, it's octo season or someone is mass importing octos. I saw what looked like a slimy pile of octos, roughly 15-20 octos that has a eye-to-eye length of about 5-7cm, a huge red octo that lookd like a juvenile Pacific Giant, and a tiny one (perhaps a bimac) which was near transparent with a tinge of yellowish-mud color on the skin.
I could only afford to save the presumed bimac and a few by-catchs.

Saw a shark on sale too, though.
Already spending your own money for research purposes? :biggrin2:
I suppose it's the best (only?) way to get anything done those days. Bankrupt yourself and hope for the best... the thrill of science...
*looks at his can of baked beans for the week*
*sighs*
:sad:
I'm so glad I'm in research (really, wouldn't do anything else... don't think i actually can do anything else ... ok back to work!)

how much for the shark? any idea what species?

TPOTH

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
well, the shark looked fresh enough and it was at around the same price for some cod, I think. The shark was approx 3 feet to 3 and a half 3 feet long and has a rubbery grey color to it, presume reeg shark of some kind, not one tip or black tip though, might be a grey something shark or a juvenile something shark.

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
*starts to wonder if the title is a bit misleading into making poeple think that this is a off topic thread*

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Not off topic at all; it's a totally cool thread, Eric.

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Why, thank you.

Psst! My name is Eric!

Ed SOS [old people make mistakes; sorry] :wink:

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
(seen the ED, but you arn't that old, are you?)

Another little question, how much formalin will a squid absorb?

And...

What sort of container should I store the formalin in?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPrater

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak