Eric's market adventure(s)

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
I can ask my teachers....they ought to give it to me since my head of science is might be interested in cephs! :biggrin2:

Baking soda...hm....I think I have some in the cupboard...what do you want with baking soda and the other formalin thingamabob?

I can always go to my neigbour's with a cup and ask them for a cup of baking soda, since more than 300 poeple live in my apartment.

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
You're right, Eric, baking soda should be easy to get. Formalin may be less common. Ask your chemist. It's used to preserve specimens. Greg, can Shanlyn tell us if formalin is used to preserve humans before funerals?

Melissa

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, Head of Science says that I should note a few things befor ebuying planes tickets for squids:

1) Is it really neccsary to send them to NZ to Dr. SOS

2) Will it break any custom's rules on sending these things

2) Formalin is extremly smelly, and I, Head of Sci. and the school don't have the proper certificates to give, or buy formalin.

3) Is it really neccsary to use formalin

4) How much would it cost.

5) Is the whole thing really neccsary.

Could anyone please answer the question above, please?

Also, how do I preserve things in baking soda, or will alcohol work? :glass:

P.S: Mom thinks that Dr.SOS wants baking soda is becuase it'll marinate well squid and all he has to do is cook it. :lol:

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
eekkk! Help, we're moving and my mom says that I will need to preserve the squids with something other than ice or she will throw it away! Please, help!

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
Eric, your mom is right that things would thaw in the move - and that would not be good. So you need to ask Steve and TTF and others in that lab what needs to go in the jar to preserve them! Formalin? Alcohol (I don't mean beer)? A lot of salt?

I hope you have enough time to write to them and get a response.

Good luck!

Melissa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraPettis

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak