• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Enough filtration?

Well, you are going to definitely need some way of removing waste products beyond that...a power filter or a wet dry system could be used, depending on your preference. Octopus put out a tremendous amount of waste, several times that of a like sized fish!

Wow thats a lot of waste!

So in a 75 gallon tank with a single bimac I will need:
75 LBS LR
A protein skimmer rated for 150 gallons
A Refugium
And a wet/dry?

DAMN!

The refugium is not necessary, but is a nice perk. I might add that a skimmer rated for 150 gallons might be a bit small--the manufacturers have a tendency to exagerate.

I agree on the wet/dry. The live rock may cut it for a reef tank, but an octopus is an ammonia factory.

Dan

kingsnar;77477 said:
Wow thats a lot of waste!

75 LBS LR
A protein skimmer rated for 150 gallons
A Refugium
And a wet/dry?

DAMN!

75 LBS LR - Generally octos are not filtered with live rock alone like reef tanks. Live rock can filter small fish and inverts well, but I feel that even 150 lbs in a 75 gallon would need alot of prep (slowly building the ammonia load) to finally be able to handle the large amounts of waste from a fast growing ceph. Since live rock is totally submerged it is not as efficient in converting ammonia as a wet/dry.

A protein skimmer rated for 150 gallons - Since they make so much ammonia, tons of nitrate will soon follow. Skimmers also remove ink from the water and are considered essential for octo keeping.

A Refugium - This is really for additional nitrate removal via nutrient export in macro algae.

And a wet/dry? - The real workhorse in the filtration system.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back