emergency? i dont know.

Reaction score
thanks roy. the problem i encounter when i delve into the review papers and journals in searches is that i honestly dont know what half of it means. they are typically not written to be understood by the layman. also, thanks for relaying your experience. I will try to find homes for the eggs, i guess. they look very close to bursting. so much for being in the ceph keepers club. too much invested in this system to go out and start completely new. pretty damn frustrated, actually.

Reaction score
I have been thinking about your problem a lot over the last few days... I cant shake the feeling that what you were told about getting rid of your system is SO super extreme. I never even thought about water coming from pet stores having copper in it. People on this site have all (well not all but a lot) have turned a used system into an octo tank. I feel it would be a very bad assumtion to think that all of those systems have been cared for as we do our octo tanks. Given that, I would think most people wouldnt think that a little water from the fish store would be a problem and would then pour it in anyway, at least a little bit. If those people just got lucky then great. But I think that maybe... not with these eggs mind you... but maybe you could try and save your system. Test the water for copper. Test it over and over and over again. Then let it sit all over again. See if that would help.

You may have to start all over again, I dont know, but I think its worth a try.

Now I am not a scientist or an expert on cephs for that matter. But I would at the very least try testing and see. Thats just my personal thoughts on the matter.

Reaction score
Good idea,
I'm not sure of the resolution of our hobby test kits, and their ability to detect minute amounts, but maybe a lab in your area (the type that tests home use water) may be able to test accurately for you. It wouldn't hurt to ask and cost should be relatively low, like < $40.

Reaction score
Please do and keep us updated. I would think a lot of people would be interested in what you find.

One other thing... I personally believe that having multipule systems connected to the same filtration is a bad idea. Like you have just learned, we put things in other tanks that we would never put in our ceph tanks. You might think about splitting up the systems and running them on different filters.

One other thing... If you cant find a lab to do the tests, I went to hanna instruments and looked for something that tests for copper. They had 3 but I didnt look at them to closely.

Heres the link http://www.hannainst.com/usa/search_results.cfm
You might want to call and find out which one you need.
Thats probably something we should all invest in.

Reaction score
the one designed for aquarium use comes with two ranges, the lowest measuring from 0.00-0.25 in 0.05mg/L increments. if thats accurate, it would be just what we need to test. come to think of it, im going to check the local store and see what they have, and if not that or something equivalent, im ordering the hanna kit. thanks again for helping me think about this.

Reaction score
rryyddeerr;156092 said:
the one designed for aquarium use comes with two ranges, the lowest measuring from 0.00-0.25 in 0.05mg/L increments. if thats accurate, it would be just what we need to test. come to think of it, im going to check the local store and see what they have, and if not that or something equivalent, im ordering the hanna kit. thanks again for helping me think about this.
No problem, and please let us know what you find. I hope everything works out for you and your system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumit

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan