EMERGENCY HELP!

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by lilalancarey, May 1, 2010.

1. lilalancarey

lilalancarey O. vulgaris Registered

okay so i bought 3 cuttle eggs wednesday. 2 hatched thursday at 12 am and 4 am and one hatched friday morning at 3 am.

i ordered my live rotifers and mysids on wednesday figuring they would be shipped thursday and i would recieve them on friday and try feeding them 1 mysid and see if any go for it. and do that everyday til they eat....

THEY NEVER CAME THEY WERE NEVER SHIPPED

so i have to wait until the weekend is over until i can get them

i started a BBS culture last night and some eggs have hatched, can i use these until my rot/mysids come in the mail? or should i drive for an hour both ways to pick up some live rotifers/phytoplankton from a man i know from www.Manhattanreefs.com who said he will help me out.

Anyone have any success whatsoever with BBS?

this only needs to work for 2-3 days =/

if it will not work i will take the long expensive toll/gas drive down there. since i

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunately, I am not a cuttle keeper but do read all the threads (and likely one of the few people on at this hour). Fortunately, I have read that cuttles often don't eat the first week. As you suspect bb's are not recommended food. There is some conjecture that they might help stimulate a feeding response but the luck with them has been slim to none.

Here is a link to a discussion about a similar situation. If you will look at the sticky at the top of the Journals and Photo forum there is a List of our Cuttlefishes post. It contains links to the histories of many of the cuttles raised from eggs and most discuss first feeding.

3. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I am not sure what you want the bbs/rots for - feeding the mysis?

You should/might bo ok for 2-3 days. As D said, they often don't eat for that amount of time anyway. No reason to drive for rots/phyto because they are not cuttle food. :D

Try the bbs and let us know what happens. I suspect you won't get a feeding response because they are too small, but weird things happen.

4. lilalancarey

oh i thought baby cuttles sometimes fed on rots, oops, after all the reading ive done i stil screw that up lol, i should have ordered amphipods instead =/ thanks for the fast responses guyys.

Thales, but after the weekends over and by the time i actually get my mysids it will be like 5-6 days no feeding post hatch.

i guess ill try the BBS a few times daily and see if i get a response.

5. MAKOOKAM

MAKOOKAM Wonderpus Registered

If you can find tigger pods those will work in the mean time. Expensive, though.

6. lilalancarey

yeah i asked my lfs to order them for me they said they wouldnt come in til tuesday.... no where within a 45 min drive has tigger pods in my area. still trying the BBS though. wish em luck =/

7. snowmaker

snowmaker Vampyroteuthis Registered

Do you run a sump? Have any chaeto in it?
    I was able to harvest very small amphipods by swishing chaeto around in a bucket with 5"or so of tank water. The baby cuttlefish would eat the smallest of them (not the 1/2" adult amphipods, but the babies) at just 4 days old.
    I am willing to bet these are more nutritious than mysids just due to their slightly higher mass... although I have absolutely no proof of that.