[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

All of my briareus just stayed out until it got dark and they were alone on their introduction to my tanks. Definitely some stress signs (colapsed mantle and corkscrew arms in post #5). Lets hope they are not age related and will disappear in a week. The arm to mantle ratio reminds me of Creepy and makes me think this one has put all of its arms in moray holes/crab dens as some points in its life.

This morning he is tucked nicely in Ollie's old den. D, any thought as to the sex? I am begining to second guess my origonal guess of male. There are a few shells that have been pulled in to partially block the den entrance. This is something Ollie never did so I am wondering if this may be a female.

Very good. I am glad hes hidding for you now. From what I have read thats a very good sign things will be ok. Normally when I have read others journals if they didnt hide within the first day or so, they normally died with in a few days.

Here he is a few momnents ago in Ollie's old den. At least I can see him. (or should I say her?) See the shells in front.

DSCN0313.jpg

He is unnamed no more. He shall from now on be know as El Diablo my little devil. :sagrin: My oldest son came up with it. We had just given him his first feeding, shrimp in a stick. He grabbed it immediately no coaxing needed. He held the stick for several moments them let go. He was partially out of his den and just sat there looking at us. He turned an extrodinary color, he blended with the sand. He was displaying a spikey textrure, looked like little horns. I got a shot. I am begining to really like this new guy.
D, you can remove "unnamed" and replace with "El Diablo"

DSCN0319.jpg

Been looking throgh the journals and have yet to find one that did or does display them. Anyone know if this display is an indication of mood? :confused: Good or bad?
Just trying to figure this guy out, if I can so something to improve his mood I will try.

I only noticed horn displays for the first time with Kooah. Her's are very tiny but they are there and I meant to comment on it and forgot. What camera did you just get? Photos show a marked color and clarity achievement.

I got a Nikon P100. It takes nice photos and videos and most importantly is easy to use.
D, do you know any reasons why this one is displaying this texture, do you have any little clues for me as to his mood?
He has looked like this all day.
I fed him tonight, the serpent star stole the shrimp from him. I took a video but it was way too dark, virtually worthless. Maybe he wasn't that hungry. He finally moved from his spot outsid the den, went behind the rockwork.

Thank you for adding his (I think) name!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back