[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

We see less texture the longer they live in an aquarium (all species) so I would attribute it to their natural need to blend into the rock work. IMO, after they are confident with their environment they don't seem to feel the need to disappear. Unfortunately, determining even the most common of color changes is not something scientific observers will confidently name (and is frequently the topic of discussed frustration). We know that the skunk stripe and darkening around the eyes is displayed by all octos we keep but a definitive emotion (or even if color/texture is emotion specific) is not official. IMO, these are two signs of being slightly annoyed where texture seems to be a comfort level with being seen.

None of you great photos gives me any hints to suggest sex. It is too soon to second guess collecting shells for a den. To call it a female about to brood activity, it would have to occur as a behavior change (this does not mean that is not what you are seeing but we don't know if it is a behavior change or just a den making at this point).

He is out exploring, I am suprised he lost all the texture. He was on the back wall then over the top of te rocks. He is looking so much like Ollie it's breaking my heart. (minus the dark coloration) What do you really think? Did I get an old one? LOL Do you have an opinion on the sex, I am thinking no or you'd have mentioned it.
I will keep trying to get more photos but for tonight I'll just let him be.

I edited my note above to cover your sexing question (the changes don't show up in the emails :sagrin:)

I refuse to second guess age (except with my own and I am often wrong). They just come in all different sizes, enjoy them and observe. Occassionally we may have access to captive bred or at least captive hatched but the chances to do this are slim. IMO, the very young ones stay so hidden that you really don't get a lot of face time until they are adult or at least late teens.

The dark ring around the eye I mentioned above is well depicted in the picture in the den. I think I will start a thread on common emotion coloration with specific examples (like my Male ID thread in biology). May I use that photo?

D, feel free to use any of my photos :biggrin2:
I am going to check out you thread, sounds interesting. You mention changes you made that didn't show up...what did the changes say, I reread all your posts?? Am I missing something?

This is what I added in the edit:
None of you great photos gives me any hints to suggest sex. It is too soon to second guess collecting shells for a den. To call it a female about to brood activity, it would have to occur as a behavior change (this does not mean that is not what you are seeing but we don't know if it is a behavior change or just a den making at this point).

I think you have already seen the Male ID thread but in case I failed to reference it before it is in Physiology and Biology->Sexing an Octopus - Photos of Hectocotylized Arm and I added a new thread to see if keepers will join in to analyze color: Physiology and Biology->Octopus Emotional Coloration - Photos of common color patterns

I got some photos, can anyone help me sexing this one :-/

DSCN0352.jpg

DSCN0354.jpg

DSCN0356.jpg

DSCN0359.jpg

This one has been out and roaming for hours. Intensive shell collecting, there is a pile of them in front of the den. I have a video of him digging in the sand. Taking forever to upload but will post it as soon as it does. He was grabbing several shells at a time and swimming them back to the den, very amusing. All this activity but as soon as he notices us watching he stops dead in his tracks. He spends a lot of time sitting just outside the den entrance on the pile of shells just watching. (I will continue to call Diablo he until I can positively identify one way or the other)

I will guess Ella Diabla but be warned that my record is worse than 50/50 untils clear evidence is provided.

Behavior is femalish and you may be getting Sedna's wish, but I can't decide if the shortened arm is the second or third arm to the right (it does appear to have enlarged suckers). If the shortened arm is the second arm (and I think it is) then there is no evidence of male other than the appearance of the suckers which could be an optical illusion. If the shortened arm is the third arm, could be either but SueNami lost his hectocotylized arm before coming to the tank so it may be they are easily amputated by a (consenting or not) female. The tip of a hectocotylized arm will not have suckers on and will curl more at right angles rather than in a loop at the tip. If if you can get a good look or photo of the very end it might help (I can never see this with my eyes) but Roy and Mucktopus say it is easy to see :roll:.

:oops:Confession time.:oops: While watching the video, it struck me that the truncated arm was not involved in sex determination at all so I went back and looked at the photos. I have a difficult time instinctively determining Left and Right. It was so bad in my 20ies that Neal would turn in the opposite direction that I instructed. I blame my teachers because they taught determining left from right by saying that right was the hand that your write with. I am Left handed.

It looks like Diablo is hunting. Notice how the arms explore into the LR. You can see how they easily lose arms and arm tips. That little jerk at the beginning was likely the capture of something small like a copepod.

I have never seen this kind of behavior, hunting? Huh, you're are an invaluable well of knowledge. He/she is shut up in den this morning, shells piled up to completely block the entrance :hmm:
I put a fiddler in but cannot see it this morning lots of hiding places, no remains littering the floor. I am thinking it was not eaten.

Wow I would have thought it would have taken him/her longer to adjust than that. Sounds/looks like things are going really well over there! I am taking my time to get the tank back to normal. I'm fixing my sump today (new protein skimmer is 11 x 13.5 so I need more space) and the new lid (hubby broke the old new one) should be ready in about a week or so. The water will be fixed by then so I should be looking for a new octo by the end of May. And this time it will work out fine. YAY!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back