Eight months for Ollie - but sad news, too

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi all,

My latest Ollie report is mixed - I'm happy that Wednesday marks eight whole months that Ollie has been with me. That must make him about 11 or 11 1/2 months old.

Ollie is now moving to another phase of Ocotpus life. It turns out Olllie is a girl after all, and has laid eggs (infertile, I think). A few days ago Ollie was still playing with me, but for the last few weeks (s)he's been giving much attention to enlarging the den.

Last night I discovered a small string of eggs, and Ollie was moving big pieces of live rock to create a fortress. I put in some shells that I'd gathered in Galveston. Good thing, too, since that gave Ollie some ligher pieces to use and (s)he didn't have to move all the live rock in the tank. Ollie's even using a couple of angel wing shells as as door.

Ollie has continued to eat some, especially crabs, and once in a while a piece of shrimp. Ollie has no interest in the little live shore shrimp that used to be favorites.

I'll keep reporting on this and post photos, like Carol is doing with Ink. I do miss the old friendly Ollie.

Nancy

Well, we all knew this time would soon. It was good that the two of you had a wonderful time together. Just wondering, how long do bimac eggs take to hatch?

Sorry to hear that Nancy, hope Ollie has a while with you yet. Dont give up on her, as you may well be able to perk her up at times since you have a very good bond already.

:cry: I guess thats the drawback of owning the COOLEST creature under the sea!
But that's interesting... Could octopus's be hermaphrodites like clownfish? (I read that on reef central :shock: ) You know, be males in the beginning and then become females, or are they found dead with the reproductive systems of each sex? It seems like all of the octo's are laying eggs. Oh well, just a thought :grad: .
Anyway, are you planning on getting another one 8) or getting a bigger tank before :shock: or maybe...
good luck with Ollie!

lotus101 said:
Could octopus's be hermaphrodites like clownfish? (I read that on reef central :shock: ) You know, be males in the beginning and then become females, or are they found dead with the reproductive systems of each sex? It seems like all of the octo's are laying eggs. Oh well, just a thought :grad:

Interesting idea................but no, as far as I'm aware there have been no hermaphroditic cephalopods found..................although there is all that unexplored ocean out there :shock:

A new doco for :oshea: & Kat???????????????? (we need a Kat icon!)

J

Wow, thanks for that update Nancy... these months really flew by... makes you think about what a great batch of octos you all got from FishSupply earlier this year... it's a shame it goes by so quickly.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I'm sure Ollie will come back to you eventually Nancy.

I know I really should know the answer to this, but how long do these octopuses live? Two or three years?

Phil

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words.

No, I'm not giving up on Ollie. I still sit in front of the tank and watch the Ollie eye. The den is now blocked up with large shells, but there's still room for her to peer out. The attached pic shows the new den just before she blocked the entrance with shells.

I think it'll take about a month for the eggs to hatch - maybe slightly less time. But I don't know whether they're fertile.

I now believe my tank is large enough for a full grown bimac (46 gallons) but that 75 gallons would allow more room for an adult bimac to jet around.

Do I plan to get another bimac? Yes, but not right now or even right after I no longer have Ollie. I need some time for travel, to build up the tank with amphipods, and to rethink the tank contents and arrangement.

Nancy

Not likely in a home aquarium Nick, in the coldest parts of their natural habitat perhaps?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back