• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

eggs

does anyone know if the hachlings from a bi=pedal are raisable or are they to small? i just found the cluch of eggs but i just got her about 2 months ago and she was the size of a babys fist. she grew a little but it seems to be to young to lay eggs. is it possible there just not fertell being that she is so young and small?thanks

jimmy 22;121794 said:
does anyone know if the hachlings from a bi=pedal are raisable or are they to small? i just found the cluch of eggs but i just got her about 2 months ago and she was the size of a babys fist. she grew a little but it seems to be to young to lay eggs. is it possible there just not fertell being that she is so young and small?thanks

Too small unfortunately. Never hurts to try though, if you can afford it. Abdopus' are small octos, and size isn't really an accurate way to tell age. You won't know if the eggs are fertile for a few days at least.

Most species of female octopus lay only one clutch of eggs, brood them and then die. Even within a species there is considerable variation on size and age at which reproduction occurs. This depends on many variables including diet, temperature, mating history, stress, etc. Almost all the A. aculeatus we have kept in the lab, if they laid eggs, did so within a few weeks of capture and size ranged from considerably.

Roy

has anyone tried to take the eggs out of the tank so the octo does not stay w/the eggs and maybe this would trick the mother into forgeting she laid them and would keep eating and live longer?

jimmy 22;121839 said:
has anyone tried to take the eggs out of the tank so the octo does not stay w/the eggs and maybe this would trick the mother into forgeting she laid them and would keep eating and live longer?

I doubt that removing the eggs would trick her body chemistry into forgetting the processes involved with laying eggs.

Nature doesn't forget.

well the eggs are starting to hach. they are smaller than i thought.im tring all types of food but i cant tell if they are eating or not . but ill keep trying

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back