• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Eggs!

Another cuttle just came over to the two that were 'guarding' the eggs, flashed 'zebra', the male of the pair flashed 'zebra' and they fought for a split second. Then they faced off around the tank for a few minutes. No one seems hurt. Gonna keep the camera set up on the tripod all the time from now on. Also gonna feed right now.

Would you say they are showing definite parental care or is the male protecting his female partner?
very interesting

In my group, I would have said parental care, after watching the individuals move off, but return the the same spot time over.

Interesting watching this one pan out.

How about if they have chosen an area of the tank that suits their eggs and they are defending that rather than the actual eggs?

EG is there a preferable type of current, lighting or other parameter which defines where they want to lay. In an open reef there would be a limitless supply of such places but in the tank there are only a couple of prime areas?

Quite a few species of fish and herptile I have bred will only lay eggs in places that suit the egg and not just scatter them like some species.

any thoughts Rich? Are the places they are choosing remarkable in any way?

All those thoughts are right on Colin. Observation is further compounded by the fact that they aren't always near the eggs and the fact that there is no way to tell if they are actually the parents. Oy!

Righty, how long after they started having sex do you estimate eggs appeared? Mine began a little over a week ago. I do not actually see eggs yet, but theres one spot in my tank that I suspect may be some. So far it looks like I only have 1 couple. The larger two of a group of four. I suspect that this area of rocks has become a nest and possible has eggs.

With the sex begining about a week and a half ago, do you think she should have laid eggs yet? Ive also began witnessing more (zebra) patterns as well. Mainly I think from the male being protective of the female. How long should I wait until I investigate the rocks?

Daniel,

Don't recall off hand, but I did update the progress section of my site, so it should give you an idea. I did also get your email - just haven't had any time to respond.

I opened the last section of the 'condo' to give more room because it looks like there has been some fighting.

There is another clutch of eggs, right next to the first clutch, and there definitely is a cuttlefish hanging out in the 'cave' with the eggs. Actually one hang out in the cave and another hangs out near its entrance. Freaking weird. Trying to get some photos/video, but its just such a bad spot!

I would like to move the eggs to watch their development, but I am also interested in the guarding behavior. Not sure what to do!

I think that some species ( could be all I have no idea) can store the sperm packets transfered to them from the male. I've kept officinalis in solitude before and they have laid eggs weeks to months after comming in and those have then gone on to be fertile. I think there must be something climatic which tells them to mate and then 9something else which tells them to release the eggs. In captivity you usually find t he temp was slightly higher so maybe that had something to do with it... we shall have to see!

Good job on the eggs though!

~Andy

Grrr. It seems NONE of the 50+ eggs that have been laid are fertile - and the blog experiment is not working out well. I guess a remodel that you are doing part of takes up a good chunk of you mind.

Sad Righty.

if you are looking for some new eggs, the suplier i recieved mine from has a boat load, and apparently they seem to have a constant flow at the moment. email me if you want the info, also the price was killer :smile:

They don't develop. Grr.

Even worse news, my adult cuttles are dropping like flies. I have 4 left - had 5 last night.

Daniel, how are yours doing?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back