• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Eggs problem

It looks like some of the eggs that my bandensis layed have detached themselves from the clutch and are floating around in the tank and some are looking like they are deteriorating but she has layed new eggs where the have detached and were they are deteriorating. Does this mean that the first bunch of eggs is not fertilized?

Not necessarily, but there seems to be a lower hatch rate on the first batch of eggs from S. bandensis. Can you post a picture of the eggs? You could try to put the detached eggs in a breeder tank and watch them.

If they are deteriorating they are not viable, but they may have been fertilized. Hard to tell what is really happening with eggs that don't develop.

Ive suspected my Bandensis of purposefully detaching eggs, but have not directly witnessed it. This actually happens much less now,which may be related to the fact that Im having higher rates of viable eggs. Without a real study its hard to know the exact reasons for these types of questions. Our best guesses would include age of the cuttles, water parameters (Nitrates), or even amount of flow in the tank. Since theres not many official studies involving Bandensis, posting your experiences is the best way for us to understand whats going on.

My water is great besides about 5ppm of Nitrates I do however have a large amount of flow in the tank do to the fact that I have a little giant that is rated 850GPH and I only have a 40G tank. I do have the flow restricted to about 50% but that is still a high flow volume. I will try and get pictures up by tonight.

I dont think your flow is too excessive. Its too little flow that I may worry about.

Could just be like cuttlegirl mentioned. The earlier batches of eggs have lower success rates and this gets better as they get older.

Well after many clutches of eggs layed, I finally have breed them successfully. I saw the first little hatchling swimming around this morning and have feed him some tigger pods. Anyone want some? From what it looks like i'm going to have alot of little cuttles.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back