• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Eggs Arrived Today

DWhatley;189413 said:
The jelly mass sounds very similar to my last squid eggs. I had two groups, one was developed and one total clear. When they arrived, I could not detect movement in the developed ones and they soon turned opaque (there is no ink coating on squid egg casings). The clear ones stared to develop lobes but then also turned opaque. My first batch (neight of these) grew and hatched in the same tank as the undeveloped eggs. I don't think it was water quality (at least in the case where the eggs were placed in a previously successful hatching) but I do wonder about water flow as the immature eggs were placed differently and did not receive the same (less) amount of movement. Interestingly, my infertile octopus eggs have never deteriorated, being kept only in saltwater (about 2 months now).

There may be baby bandensis available (depending upon educational demand) from what used to be part of the NRCC in a couple of weeks. I have no idea what they will cost and if they will wait until they are eating to ship (I am thinking this may be a key factor in shipping the little ones but want to ask Thales about the thought). If I see a note saying they are available, I will encourage or request permission to post on the availability thread.

I, of course, would be interested. :smile:

There was very little water movement in the net breeder.... should I try for more next time? The one hatchling that I had for two weeks popped out of his egg less than two days after I received the eggs and it almost seems like the rest of them stopped developing at that time. I had seen some movement in the others upon their arrival and didn't see much after that, if any. Trial and error, and I guess if I / we can learn something from each experience then it's not quite as painful a loss.

Yes, an opaque, milky jelly is a good description of the inside of the eggs.

What both of you described is typical of eggs gone bad. In the cuttles, a blob of opaque jelly oozes out of the egg. In D's case, it is like what happens to chicken eggs when you cook them... the protein of the egg whites denature (or cook) and change from transparent to opaque.

DWhatley;189413 said:
There may be baby bandensis available (depending upon educational demand) from what used to be part of the NRCC in a couple of weeks.
Really??? I wonder if any of my babies became part of the breeding population - wouldn't that be cool? - that might be enough to convince me to set up a tank again...

Studying for an interview tonight but I will beg the poster to either email me, post to the thread, post here or have Ceph post here if there will be any for the hobby lobby :biggrin2: but right now, jQuery is my focus :roll:

cuttlegirl;189437 said:
What both of you described is typical of eggs gone bad. In the cuttles, a blob of opaque jelly oozes out of the egg. In D's case, it is like what happens to chicken eggs when you cook them... the protein of the egg whites denature (or cook) and change from transparent to opaque.

And now, for the million dollar question. . . why do eggs go bad? Change in environment? Luck of the draw? Survival of the fittest?

Any theories?
Sue

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back