Well, my eels are fine for now. One is in a bucket and the other is in a large rubbermaid plastic tub. I also have a small 10 gal tank which is temporarily housing my two damsels. Between those and other buckets, I managed to save about half of my water and had to discard the rest to stop the leaking.
When I have the time later today I will attempt to find the leak and seal it with lots of silicone.
I'm also seriously considering buying a tank my eel-food supplier (bait store) is selling. It is newer and in better condition than mine is. Mine has had some rough treatment before I bought it and don't want to deal with another disaster like this one. Also, this new one will come with filters and powerheads ( Could always use more of that), as well as a full hood, and better stand.
So maybe i'll patch mine up and sell it for the 75 dollars i got it for. (should have known for that price, huh? but being a student should justify that....)
Yeah i found the source of the leak. Looks like an already weak spot in the silicone was pierced through when gravel became lodged inside.
I re-did the silicone and followed the instructions for the waiting period before replacing the water and even waited a bit longer...
but i guess i should have either made a thicker seal or waited even longer!!
Tank was back in order and running when it began to leak again from the areas of new silicone!!!
so sad.... all that re-mixed saltwater gone except for about 25 gallons again.
I'm going to re-seal it with ridiculous amounts of silicone (and allow it to dry for an extra-long time) and sell or give the tank to a friend who wants to mess with it. Meanwhile, I'm buying a better and newer 75 gallon tank.