Edward - O. hummelincki

From what can be seen on their website, I can see why your LFS would be happy to tell you the wholesaler as, at least at first blush, they appear to be first class for this type of facility.

Since they are in California, I would put a small wager (SWAG) on your new addition to have come from Haiti.

well last night she retreated to a den...oddly enough the same one my first hummelincki chose....she took another frozen shrimp from her den this morning and she is out exploring as i type.....will try to get pics in a bit as she has just come out

...oddly enough the same one my first hummelincki chose
We should probably study the characteristics of dens chosen by the various species because this seems to be a pattern. Even though Kooah lived primarly on the left of the split tank, now that she is or is about to brood, she has chosen the same place KaySoh denned on the right side. All my female merc have taken the large purple barnacles (not the same physical set). In the case of my first merc, I did not add the barnacles until several months after she was introduced to the tank but within a week Trapper occupied it. Her daughter moved into her egg home immediately when she was freed from the breeder net at 5 months. Other species, however, don't seem to like the barnacles (and my male mercs would only stay in them temporarily).

first is from yesterday as i spooked her a bit so i stopped, second one is her coming out of her den with just natural daylight coming in from window...she really hasnt been crawling on the front yet so none of those pics yet

Attachments

• conv_296237.jpg
    conv_296237.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_296238.jpg
    conv_296238.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
nabbed two more before i turned out her lights...as soon as she seen me she ran right to the front of the glass...also called seadwelling..very nice on the phone said al their carribean species come from florida, but the two spots they have are from california..also asked what pet store i got it from when i named it he knew the owners name, but didnt think it came from them cause it wasnt on that stores invoice...i know my lfs has a number of wholesalers so the kid may be mistaken.. wow sorry for the worlds longest run on sentence

Attachments

• conv_296239.jpg
    conv_296239.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 81
  • conv_296240.jpg
    conv_296240.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 124
Watch the front arm suckers. The photo suggest some are enlarged but the angle and glass my just give that appearance. It also looks like the third arm to the right is completely looped where the others are just bent. If I HAD to make a call from your plethera :roll: of photos and info I would vote male (lucky dog if it is!) but observe these two things to see if they are consistent. Do note I have a less than 50% accuracy rate at first call for my own. It also looks like he may be larger than the females we have been seeing. Both my males were more than twice the size of my two females (both males and one female known to be from the Keys). However, in one of the papers I read they mention an overly large Hatian female so size may not have any bearing (or there are two species - someting I have wondered about in the past - one being a dwarf and one being a medium sized animal).

Here is my best shot at what to look for with photos. A better hummelincki shot would be welcomed to add to the thread.

Oh, and Sulley, would you fill in your location in your public profile, please (so I can come raid your tank) :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back